Android app 1.1.44 now up for alpha testing

did according to the instructions, did not help. in previous versions there was no such problem, everything worked well. (Samsung galaxy A40, android 10)

hmm - does the meshtastic device show up in android bluetooth settings? can you pair with it there?

Oh sure. I think I did not make stupid mistakes. I’ve been using meshtastic since the earliest versions and everything was fine. in bluetooth settings the devices are paired.

1 Like

Perhaps in the app Clear Data. This has helped myself in the past with pairing issues.

No offense, but we dont have a lot of details to go off of to provide indepth troubleshooting advice.

1 Like

I removed the devices from the bluetooth, turned off the bluetooth. cleaned the data, then uninstalled the program and rebooted. installed the program again. did the pairing of the device and bluetooth. But the device did not appear in the program, but the program displays the old information.

report recently sent

Interesting :thinking:

Im not sure how it works in Android 10, but it does not appear your bluetooth is enabled on your device. Or your bluetooth icon is hidden.

That or what is your location settings set at? Can you confirm High Accuracy Mode?

Is it possible low power mode has been activated and it was turned off until you recharge?

For me, in Android 9, its hidden in a Google menu

2 Likes

your advice helped. I set the settings to high precision and the device appeared. Apparently in this version of the firmware the application does not work without this, which is bad. for example, if I want to save the phone’s battery or I don’t want this option to be enabled, it worked earlier, I would like it to continue to work as before. I’ll see if a bug with bluetooth will appear further when you need to enter the pairing pin after the device wakes up.

2 Likes

Thats great to hear.

Unfortunately the Meshtastic app has never worked for me with High Accuracy turned off.

2 Likes

Can the app be disassociated with the necessity to enable Bluetooth/forced phone location and use WiFi connected lora32 devices at least until full web functionality is implemented?

You can plug the device right into the phones USB over OTG. No wireless features required at all. It works great. Just need to 3D print an enclosure to glue to the back of a phone case.

so I have to keep it tethered to my phone and not in the window where it can get reception from my family/friend nodes miles away? I want wireless features… just not privacy compromising ones.

My mistake, I assumed you would be using a repeater node mounted high outside with the wireless features turned off. Then use the tethered device to send messages from inside the house.

The High Accuracy privacy eating feature of BLE are built into Android and not a programming limitation of Meshtastic itself.

2 Likes

using the wifi on the lora32 would let it function as repeater as well as allowing to use multiple phone and PCs simultaneously without compromising privacy by enabling BT/ and location access “GPS as well” on said phones

It has always been this way (and none of this portion of code has changed in a long time). Android does not allow apps access to the bluetooth APIs unless that permission has been granted. (because bluetooth information can ‘leak’ location info to sleazy apps)

Alas- You’ll have to take this up with Google. :wink:

Android requires that apps have location permission granted before it will let the apps use the BLE apis. It does this because the ability to ‘see’ particular BLE devices implicitly gives some basic location data to the app. They make this restriction because they want to respect the user’s privacy.

In the case of meshtastic, you have extra assurances because we make the source code of our app available on github so you can verify we don’t do anything sleazy. You can build this code yourself if you don’t trust our binaries.

You can use the USB interface to talk to the radios if bluetooth is unacceptable to you.

1 Like

that is why I urge phoneless and at the minimum bluetoothless options here… I can’t be the only one with these concerns? I do not like the idea of gps and geolocated access of data on my phone to ANY app, not just meshtastic. But even so, why are we limiting one phone access to the radios at once? am I just missing the scope of this project?

USB interface is supported by both the phone (android app) and anything that can run python (PCs, phones) via the pythonb API. Location access is not required for the USB link.

Other options/ideas are all great but fundmentally we are constrained by the number of hours volunteers are able to contribute to this effort in coding and testing (and thank you all for the testing reports!). Those volunteers work on the features and bugs they think are most useful and what they personally are interested in working on. We would happily accept additions of any of the features you listed.

1 Like

I would contribute more if I was experienced at programming, just an older hardware guy here. I may be able to add board id for the ttgo v1.2 board “I have the v1, v1.2, v2, and heltec v2”

1 Like

thanks @luxonn for the layout bug report you provided. I’ve now nested the settings screen inside a scrollview, so even of the tinyiest of devices (i.e. 320x240) it should look much nicer. This change will be in the next alpha (probably tomorrow)

2 Likes

cool! Nokia has released 4G push-button telephones with Android KaiOs on board for tourists (there are other models and other companies). There are just such small screens.

1 Like