New android alpha release 1.1.37

Hi ya’ll,

This release is mostly to push out a build with the great new contributions by other devs:

• @thepoweroftwo and @wakareva made a new logo we are now using in the device code, the android app and this discourse website (you might need to force your browser to reload this page to see it). @thepoweroftwo can you take a look at this and see if you like how it turned out? I think it is great, but possibly the strokes should be a bit wider/darker for the “M” when used as an icon?
  • @vfurman contributed a great new ‘material design’ for the chat window. @vfurman, can you look at this and see what you think? On my phone it seems like there are (too wide?) borders on each chat bubble and they are overlapping with the text.
  • We now use the new meshtastic logo for our notification icon, rather than the (off the shelf) bluetooth icon.

No, it is not how how it is looked at my Samsung phone. Let me test on a different phone… Sorry, still learning Android ropes…

1 Like

no worries - also I can look into this if it would help. To reproduce it, just create an Pixel2 (or any other vanilla) instance inside the android studio virtual device (AVD) GUI. Then you can install and run the app on that instance.

make sure to pull from master, because I also added a couple of missing constraints which fixed a couple of drawing issues.

I need more memory on my machine, cannot run the emulator :slight_smile: . But I did repro this on my Pixel 3. Sent you a pull request…

2 Likes

It’s looking good!

Would you be able to upload the apk for this release to github? I can’t download via Google Play.

Thanks!

1 Like

sure! i’ll put one up tomorrow

1 Like

I literally just got my network going, I bought three for testing in the cascades and I was having problems with the messages showing up in the chats, after the update everything was there and it seemed to be working better as far as chat is concerned. Good job on the update everyone!

1 Like

Like the improved layout, but the app shows a 1.1.34 firmware update available… I can’t find it on GitHub and I’m kinda puzzled :thinking:

@geeksville The logo in the android icon looks disproportionately stretched (play store). Is that the alpha version already? If not, how can I get it?
Forgive me the questions, I don’t own an Android and would test the app in Android simulator :smiley:

Edit: Seeing the titlebar in your screenshot above, can we try to use a bolder version there too? Could look more “solid” to me. I guess that’s the standard version (weight) atm. The small version is the boldest, to balance how human perception works.

Edit 2: I just pushed a change to the android foreground svg: android icon foreground fix · thepoweroftwo/meshtastic-design@a810741 · GitHub

1 Like

1.1.34 of the device code is included in this Android app. We probably won’t bother making a separate release of it. The only change is to add the new icon to the device and fix a couple of very minor bugs.

Next GitHub device code will be 1.1.38 in a few days.

2 Likes

Discovered another issue, when the app will not be able to (re)connect to the device. @geeksville, could you please take a look at this pull request?

1 Like