TTGO Tbeam Noob Help!

I am currently here. I bought what I assumed was meshtastic preloaded, ttgo , but doesnt seem to connect. Does that mean I have to flash again?

1 Like

Hey,

this is definitely not a meshtastic preloaded device. I think this is “SoftRF” firmware.

You are right, you have to flash the fw yourself. Pretty easy, just follow the instructions on github.

3 Likes

oh, well and one is missing the antenna :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am not sure if it is save to power up a device without a antenna connected.

Maybe someone has some info about this?

Regarding the missing antenna: maybe you will buy a Moxon anrenna which really does a great job.

Got it working and they both work, the antenna i assume is just for better signal strength.
Not too sure how I would go about getting a replacement, does the 923 mhz matter for a replacement antenna?

The great thing about transmitting without an antenna is that you can safely burn the lora chip definitely :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

welp not much i can do but break it and buy a new one cause it took more than a month to come in

You could even poke a specific length of wire into the center pin of the connector. Would be better than nothing! Around 81mm sticking out would be close for 1/4 wavelength at 923MHz. There are much better homemade antennas out there and I’m sure someone could point you in the right direction with a more technical answer.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m gonna look for some small cooper wire to jam in there

1 Like

Will probably work better than the supplied ones!

2 Likes

bummer - FWIW if you send an email to the TTGO corp acct linking to this thread, I bet they will give you some money back for the antenna and that it didn’t have the right software. I bet they’d like to know about the screwup. That won’t help with the long time required for shipping though - sorry about that.

It looks like I made it. No idea what I changed… lol

I hope its okay to attach my problem down here as it goes in the same direction:

I got two v.1.1 TBeams and tried to flash it with the EU865 file using the esphome-flasher as recommended on the meshtastic tutorial for newbees as me.

The Error I get (with different files): “Unexpected error: could not open port ‘COM5’: PermissionError(13, ‘Zugriff verweigert’, None, 5)”

What am I doing wrong? I’m new to this and I suspect that its a quiet simple mistake by me as the errors are always the same…

Thanks for your help in advance!

Welcome to the forum @Speedy and guten Abend,

is COM5 the only port in the combobox/dropdown menu? If so you probably selected the wrong com port.

Otherwise, which OS (windows, linux, mac) are you using?

Thx mate.

It all worked out 2mins after I wrote this and struggled hours before…

The ports are okay somehow, as I could flash the second one on port COM4. I’m using win10. Looked like my connection cable had some trouble, after a while it worked so thanks for your answer!

You’re welcome. Glad to hear that you made it already.

Does anyone in here were using TTGO T-BEAM 923 MHz cause I have a hard time with it. Can anyone guide me?

1 Like

Can you please explain a little more what we should guide you? :wink:

Regarding 923MHz: This frequency region is not added yet i think. I would suggest open an issue on github.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. The first thing i do when i got the tbeam board, i try to upload the firmware by using the esp32 software only that has been suggested but it doesnt work. So I tried to do manually by installing the gui software, platform.io and few other things and i didnt know that we need to do that. So i try again to upload the firmware and it work. It’s funny just to think about it. And regarding about the 923MHz, I was using the closer one to it which is the Japan which used 913MHz and it works just fine for now i guess. :joy: Thanks @drewsed for your concern.

2 Likes

in on linux how do i flash this t-beam 1.1 with meshtastic?

whats the command and where do the bin file need to be?