Quirk with the Flasher & the WisBlock Starter Kit

Just received two of the WisBlock Meshtastic Starter Kits. Attached the antennas and wanted to flash them with the latest firmware. Used the Meshtastic Flasher WinApp 1.0.3 to do the work. The flasher said the boards had the latest bootloader, and did I want to update then anyway - I said yes. Once that was done, I let it update the firmware, and rebooted the devices. Then I went back into the flasher and set the long name / short name / region on each one.

Now here’s where it gets interesting - both devices ended up with the same node ID / node number / mac address. I rebooted both devices, and closed and reopened the flasher program several times to be sure I wasn’t looking at cached info, but indeed, they both had the same node ID / node number / mac address. They had unique long and short names which were what I had set them to.

So I did a factory reset on both devices, and just changed the long name / short name / region and now they have unique node IDs / node numbers / mac addresses. Strangely, the info that was shown when it was duplicated, wasn’t any of the actual node IDs / node numbers / mac addresses of my boards. The incorrect mac address was e7:dd:07:d4:3a:ef & the incorrect node# was 131349231.

Very strange…

Flash 1.2.59 and do a factory reset and the Mac addresses will sort out. There were some starter kits that shipped out with the same Mac, so a factory reset will start over and pull the MAC from the BLE chip.

You are correct - the factory reset fixed it. Just wanted to share the experience here in case anyone else hits it. Thanks!