Playing with 1.3.2x Alpha Version

Hi,

i’was just for fun try to play and learn with v1.3.xx - current i’m using heltec v2.1 and tbeam v1.1 and my linux mint laptop. update meshtastic python3 console for flashing and send/read parameter from the device.

But i’have questions and i’think i’will have later more … but here is the first.

Why, later install the firmware i’cant get connection over usb, i’was try 1.3.22 to .24 no way …

root@phoenix:/home/xxxxx/MeshtasticFirmeware# meshtastic --version

Maybe someone was also start to play 1.3.x and have the same and know what i’do wrong …

ps: if i’install the old version 1.2.65 for check my cable connection, all works fine.

thx for help

I have been testing the 1.3 alphas but I haven’t used anything beyond 1.3.21 because nothing further has been announced on here.

I (perhaps incorrectly?) only install and test a new version when it is announced on here.

Try 1.3.21 and see how you get on. USB should work fine.

ah, ok, i’will try and see …

this is version Tbeam 1.3.21 same result … funy is, i’can install without problems the device …

root@phoenix:/home/mario/MeshtasticFirmeware# meshtastic --info
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/meshtastic", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/meshtastic/__main__.py", line 933, in main
    common()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/meshtastic/__main__.py", line 709, in common
    client = meshtastic.serial_interface.SerialInterface(args.port, debugOut=logfile, noProto=args.noproto)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/meshtastic/serial_interface.py", line 57, in __init__
    StreamInterface.__init__(self, debugOut=debugOut, noProto=noProto, connectNow=connectNow)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/meshtastic/stream_interface.py", line 50, in __init__
    self.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/meshtastic/stream_interface.py", line 74, in connect
    self._waitConnected()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/meshtastic/mesh_interface.py", line 402, in _waitConnected
    raise Exception("Timed out waiting for connection completion")
Exception: Timed out waiting for connection completion

I think MC Hamster has been busy, we are up to 1.3.24 now

haha, no problem, i’play just for fun … the main-devices are runing at 1.2.65

1.3 devices need a different CLI, did you install the CLI with the --pre option?

pip install --upgrade meshtastic --pre

oh, no … thanks for this, but if i’upgrade with --pre it will work with the old versions also?

You have to switch back and forth

pip uninstall meshtastic

1 Like

ah, ok … i’will try it

ah nice, now it’s work. where is a syntax libary for read and found how to configure … it’s look like all commands dont work or have different syntax.

i’dont found how to setup the wifi connect and maybe mqtt will work also … hmm

—info —nodes and —noproto are what is working

Is there a roadmap somewhere of what is to be implemented. Maybe even what will be possible with satellites? I’m more than just curious about what’s to come. sorry … but I think I’m not the only one with that

Satellites? The space stuff is entirely theoretical as Meshtastic does not communicate with LoRaWAN at this point. The config documentation for 1.3 is here: 1.3 Configuration Sections | Meshtastic these are the settings we are testing through right now.

1 Like

i’was read this info https://meshtastic.discourse.group/t/meshtastic-is-going-to-space/6050
and this was make me happy … and i’hope there will be way …

As garth said, satellite connectivity is theoretical at the time of writing, but do not worry, we will have practical tests very soon.

1 Like

if this really happen, tell me where i’get the hardware i’will build a permanent groundstation.

For now, we are going to test it with standard Meshtastic devices that you already have.

There are some changes to the software that will be needed and I am currently talking with a few folks to see if it can be avoided.

1 Like

ok, then we wait the soft. for test …

This is probably the best route if using 1.2, making changes and building a new 1.2 version is going to be rough.