Ping from Calgary, AB!

We have a bunch of nodes in our city:

We might be approaching the limits of 80 nodes and 3 hops soon. Our next goal is to do more testing with solar power.

7 Likes

The web interface of the node I keep at home is reporting 76 peers!

(Discourse only lets new users embed one image per post)

2 Likes

Are you in the discord? The folks up there have been showing us their network for a bit now and it’s insane how large it’s gotten, and just how fast that happened. I think speak for many when I say, I’m jealous because it feels like I’m the only one in my city.

2 Likes

I haven’t joined yet, I’m not on Discord.

Someone brought Meshtastic to the makerspace I’m at and it caught on like wildfire! We’ve been using Telegram Messenger to coordinate, there’s 13 of us in the chat.

1 Like

Welcome to the Calgary mesh! The permanent router nodes up like WINSPORT, IPG, RENERT, and KBLA and the new mountain MOOS are running 5+ hops at the moment, with another mountain node farther south coming soon (or coming back, rather).

If you have any questions about setups, come to the discord and let us know. We’ve done a lot of testing in the area, even before things got big, and chances are we might have already have an answer from that. Also there’s another balloon launch tomorrow around 10am, if you’re interested in tracking that!

1 Like

I’m still new to Meshtastic. Does this refer the the hop limit configured in those nodes’ settings? If so, does it only apply to messages originating at those router nodes? Or would a message relayed have its hop limit extended?

Hop settings only apply to outgoing messages, and use the LoRa settings of the sending node. However I’m not positive if that also applies to any other type of node broadcasting.

Wow congrats I’m jealous I can’t get a single person to invest in this stuff and I’ve been talking about it in community groups for a couple years now

1 Like

I have a solar setup that’s been working flawlessly as far as I can tell for about two years check my other posts where I’ve detailed it but it was inexpensive

Thanks for the heads up

you guys still active, i have some setup north of you wanted to see if i can ping calgary.

1 Like

I am wondering if this is still active, I reinstalled my T-Beam and no longer seeing any activity but was just a few months ago. Just wondering if there have been changes and where I could find this info. Thanks.

Yes, we are still very active: