13 Miles over mountains and Los Angeles, getting node updates but no messages

version 1.1.50

I have two nodes connecting my house and a friend over a big mountain. 4 total nodes.

I am quite pleased that I’m getting a solid connection between all four nodes, I can see node name changes no problem and regular updates every 3 minutes. But no messages are getting through. I’ve recompiled with hop limit 4 and 5, but still no messages. If I’m up on either hill I can get a message through. Thoughts?

this is on the default long slow channel, so if you are in the LA area please try connecting!

1 Like

hmm - when you are sending messages to your friend (I assume programmatically?) are you sending the message to his node ID specifically or to the broadcast (^all or 0xffffffff) address?

I am sending messages via the android app, he is using the new iPhone app. It works if I’m up on the hills using the repeater node or the mobile node i carry.

He has tried (with the iphone app) sending broadcast message and individual messages but no luck yet

oh! I think I know the problem. Can you open a bug on meshtastic-android and link to this thread. We can talk there - I bet the android app is requesting a too low hop limit. It should be letting the device pick the default hop limit but it is not.

will do thanks! reported a bug, but i dont see a way to link it to this thread or leave a comment…

no worries. I just decided to fix it in the device code instead:

For the future, when you are making a bug you can just paste a link to any discourse thread into the description and discourse/github will work together to cross link them.

1 Like

oh I see, you clicked the “report bug” in the app. No I mean’t create a bug here. All good though, no need to do it now.

1 Like

so best way to test this is? compile 1.1.50 code as it is now? or change the hoplimit in “mesh types” and recompile?

yeah you should make a similar change in your fork of 1.1.50 (also you can increase HOP_RELIABLE if you need, but I don’t think you do for your 4 node linear mesh). You only need to make this change on the sending devices (i.e. no need to update the code in those two middle nodes).

3 Likes

WE HAVE MADE CONTACT!!! thanks for your help tonight and ongoing amazing support!

7 Likes