No communication with chip

Complete computer noob trying to get a couple new LILYGO TTGO T-Beam V1.1 ESP32 915Mhz WiFi Bluetooth Module ESP32 GPS up and running. Followed directions step by step and this is as far as i have gone. See attached pics.
This is what i know-

I don’t know what I’m doing.
I’m in over my head
I thought this would be simple.
I am using a data cable.
I have installed the proper software and restarted comp.
I believe the driver is correct for the board

I’m sure you savvy ones can look at the screenshots and tell what is wrong? Thanks for looking and thanks in advance if you can advise.

Hey Lgang!

Just taking a stab in the dark here as I haven’t received my initial shipment of boards yet, but… can you try typing it out as “esptools.py chip_id”?

Windows is picky and sometimes requires the whole command name with extension to be typed out.

1 Like

I’ll try. I was using the copy/paste method provided by meshtastic. Worked fine until that step. Also, I was inputting through Git basher, not a windows command prompt. Does that matter?

If you look on that page right above where you copied the command from I think it specifies that on windows you have to edit the copied command to include the “.py” extension.

Within GIT’s bash is exactly where you should be entering all of the commands. Let me know if adding the “.py” fixes the issue.

Ric

It did. Thank you very much. My ignorance in this field is not to be underestimated. Do you know of any tutorials for the following steps of flashing the device. I’m trying to follow the steps but I’m not having any success. Thanks again for help R!

I may be able to fumble through it with you and might not. Like I mentioned, my devices haven’t even arrived yet. If I’m interpreting the instructions correctly I would make sure the antenna is attached and I would…

1. Download either alpha or beta firmware zip file from HERE
  2. Open the zip file you just downloaded, select all, right-click and click copy.
  3. Create a new folder in your “Downloads” folder and name it something easily recognizable like “firmware”.
  4. Go into that new folder, right-click and click paste.
  5. Go back to your “Downloads” folder, find the new “firmware” folder you just pasted the files into and right-click on that new folder and select “Git Bash Here”.
  6. Type “./device-install.sh -f firmware-tbeam-1.” (without the quotation marks) and hit your tab key. If everything so far is correct then it should auto-complete the filename. (make sure the command starts with a dot and slash before the word device with no spaces).
  7. Hit Enter. It should step through the available serial ports, find the T-Beam and proceed to flash the device with the new firmware.

Once that’s done and the device restarts you should be able to establish connection with it per THESE instructions.

Ric

1 Like

You’re awesome Ric! Thank you for your help. I will try this evening after work and will update my progress, if any.

P.