My giant battery node I've place on a hill in Los Angeles

Excuses to hike are aways good!

The LM2596 will go down to 1.5, so 3.3 should be easy.

Anytime mate. Reading your updates are always fun. Wish I could reach you from where I am, but I don’ think Lora can easily go through half the state.

3 Likes

appreciate that! ok so i actually have a bunch of Lm2596’s and I’ve tried them before on the 42v (technically 36v)batteries and it blew it out. I’ll try another one as maybe that time was a fluke. Here in LA, lets say there is a “large supply” of “low cost” scooter battery packs with charge controllers built in, so I’m pretty motivated to make it work this way. I mean i guess i could just put 6 packs together… lol

1 Like

Our cities have the same surplus.

1 Like

Could also be that the Lm2596 has been faked. Digikey has them for about $2 / ea if you buy 10,000.

1 Like

aight let me grab 20k real quick

3 Likes

< sarcasm > Cool. Let’s do a group buy, I could use one or two. < /sarcasm >

4 Likes

I’ve got my giant battery node refreshed and now on the default #LongSlow-1 channel. If you are in the LA area anywhere close to my range map drop me a line!

3 Likes

Is your node still up and running? Will try to hit it again soon.

1 Like

@datadrian Have you considered upgrading the antenna from the stock “rubber duckie” to a dipole antenna with better gain?

Something like this: Dipole Antenna 915mhz

1 Like

I have been able to hit it with one of my RAK boards from Palos Verdes.

yes my main node is still up! the Getty and North Hollywood repeaters are going back up on Thursday.

wow awesome! I’m surprised its making it down there, wonder if you were bouncing off the Getty repeater.

I’ve considered it, but I’ve got excellent coverage over the LA basin (20+ miles) so I’m not really needing to upgrade at the moment.

1 Like

I am going to connect tomorrow, yesterday, I tried by simply inputting your channel name, but that didn’t work. I needed the Qr code or link address that is in this thread. I originally found your node via the map.Meshtastic Map
I left all my nodes in my office in South Central LA. I am in Baldwin Hills.

Are you still maintaining this node? I’ll be flying into LAX end of August to take my kid to Disney. Perfect time to test it out.

1 Like