Firmware complete with wifi enabled

Hi all. Im new to Meshtastic. i just wondered if there was a version of the firmware with wifi pre enabled ?

1 Like

Wifi is “enabled” in the default builds, they’re just not configured with any particular settings.

So I understand more, what is your use case?

1 Like

I’m running 1.1.8 on several devices but want to be able to access the web server and use it on a non android phone

Take a look at the instructions here:

The WebUI is still a work in progress but it’d be great to get your feedback so far.

1 Like

yer, ive tried that, for some reason when i run

import meshtastic

The following come back

-bash: import: command not found

On mac using terminal

1 Like

Try to use the meshtastic executable that is installed along with the python package.
try
meshtastic --help
in your bash shell.

2 Likes

To use the API, the import command as well as all subsequent commands need to be run in the Python interactive shell, not the bash shell. Launch by typing (likely) “python3” into your bash shell. I suppose the docs could use some clarification in that regard.

1 Like

Many Thanks for your help. I’ve got further but when i try to assign the port using

interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface (/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART)

I get a syntax invalid error

It look slike the it wants a string
From my linux machine:
>>> interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface(/dev/ttyUSB0)
File “<stdin>”, line 1
interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface(/dev/ttyUSB0)
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface("/dev/ttyUSB0")
>>>

Yer, Thats great that gets me one step further, i now get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/bin/meshtastic", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/meshtastic/__main__.py", line 387, in main
    client = SerialInterface(
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/meshtastic/__init__.py", line 711, in __init__
    f"Multiple ports detected, you must specify a device, such as {ports[0].device}")
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'device' ```

in python it also said the following

>>> meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode true --setstr wifi_ssid meshtastic --setstr wifi_password Password
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode true --setstr wifi_ssid meshtastic --setstr wifi_password Password
                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> WARNING:root:Ignoring old position/user message. Recommend you update firmware to 1.1.20 or later

Looks like you’re running the meshtastic script from within the python interpreter? Run that from the command line directly.

Yer tried both,

meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode true --setstr wifi_ssid meshtastic --setstr wifi_password Password
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/bin/meshtastic", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/meshtastic/__main__.py", line 387, in main
    client = SerialInterface(
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/meshtastic/__init__.py", line 711, in __init__
    f"Multiple ports detected, you must specify a device, such as {ports[0].device}")
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'device'

Although from python i can send a interface.SendText message

What OS are you using?
Just making sure, youre using the latest meshtastic python api?

I’m not the one to fix this, but I’ll take a look after work today.

ok i got further

meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode true --setstr wifi_ssid meshtastic --setstr wifi_password Password --port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART

this worked and says it was sent but unfortunatly i can’t see an AP when searching for wifi

im on 1.1.8.

Using Terminal on MacOS

There have been problems with the Python scripts on Mac not always saving the settings.

When you page through the screens on the device, does it show a screen with the AP settings?

No it doesn’t unfortunately,

meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode true --setstr wifi_ssid meshtastic --setstr wifi_password Password --port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connected to radio
Setting wifi_ap_mode to True
Setting wifi_ssid to meshtastic
Setting wifi_password to Password
Writing modified preferences to device

once the unit has been hard re-set its still the same

Try it again, on my heltec devices i had to try about ten times to get it working… first i thougt it is because i try to connect to a hidden SSID, and tried the softAP variant. Then after some attempts the wifi screen page appeared. After that i tried again in client mode and after some attempts it did connect to my wifi AP.

I will investigate further and reply in the alpha tester thread.

BTW: my helltecs always reboot after the meshtastic command returned (successfully??). This also happens sometimes on changing the channel in the android app. This is correct behavior.

There’s an open bug for that:

2 Likes