I have some experience with Arduino devices, but I’m brand new to meshtastic, ESP 32 and LoRa, so I thought I would grab a few Heltec units off Amazon locally (ordered TBEAM from China) and give them a try. I flashed the unit with the windows gui tool and the latest binary (220.127.116.11e4bc6), and tried using the iOS app via TestFlight - it would connect over bluetooth but nothing in the app would work like settings or messages.
I figured it might have been the app, so I decided to get it connected to wifi and use the web interface, so I ended up installing python on my windows machine (for setting wifi) and then doing the manual esptool.py actions to erase and re-flash the unit with the correct partition setup for the web server, and then uploading the files to /static but that resulted in the same mostly unresponsive interface, both the settings pages would render blank and had to be refreshed to get back, but the Device Status page seems to be working, and the Packet Log page only partially - packets appear with null data.
The only way I have been able to get any message sent between the units is with the python meshtastic command line tool, and it only shows up on the unit’s screen - I can’t get the app or the web page to display messages.
I’m not sure if it’s related but I can’t seem to get meshtastic python to connect to the IP address of either unit, I have to have them plugged in to USB serial and tell it to connect on the COM port that way.
I feel like I may have missed a critical setting or there’s a version mismatch, or something like that so that - I can’t seem to locate any information on this particular glitch.