So TTGO just sent me prototypes of a new board. I think it has a high chance of becoming the new ‘best’ board that you can just ‘buy and use’.
- Tiny - square and thin about half of a credit card.
- Super low power draw, full on with everything running in normal operation should be only about 25mA (higher only while transmitting). With the GPS sleeping most of the time should be about 16mA.
- nrf52840 CPU
- air530gps (seems to lock super fast)
- two flat antennas, one for lora, one for GPS
- charging circuitry for a flat lipo
- 1.54" eink screen 200x200 pixel (so great sunlight visibility, and always ‘on’ for zero current draw). Though slow update rate (seconds) - so we’ll need to do some UX work to make the UI work nicely on it. But approximately I’m thinking: normally shows the nearest nodes (with little ‘north up’ arrows), if a text message comes in the screen defaults to show that text for one hour. If you press the button it will cycle to the next screen.
- sx1262 radio - so probably great range
- a few GPIOs brought out on the back for hobbyists
- two buttons
- one capacitive touch sensor
- one tri-color LED
- external flash on the board for extra storage
- No soldering required to install the screen
So far I’ve got the screen, bluetooth and the lora radio working. I still need to get the tri-color LED, GPS and buttons working. Hopefully that will be done by monday. @mc-hamster I’ll drop off one for you mon or tue?
TTGO asked us if we have ideas on what they should call it? Feel free to reply to this thread with your opinion.
I know the next question you’ll have is when can you buy it and how much will it cost. I have no idea on either of these answers but I bet soon and maybe a little more than a tbeam? no idea.
New branch here. I’ve temporarily called this board ‘eink’: