Devices don't see each other

Ordered and received two TTGO T-Beam 915Mhz boards with OLED and NEO-6M
Soldered on the OLEDs, flashed ‘firmware-tbeam-US-0.7.8.bin’
Paired a phone to one board, a tablet to the other board
Set the channel name on the phone, saved
Shared the full URL from phone to tablet, tapped URL on tablet, app opened and asked if I wanted to switch channels, “Yes”
Both OLEDs now show

• the same channel name
  • alternate between “Users 1/1” and “Users 0/1”
  • and “Started…” at the bottom

Both boards show 4 blue blinks with a 5sec pause
Both boards red blink, one with “GPS ok,” the other “No Sats,” might get a lock later

Both Android devices show only themselves in the group. Messages appear to get queued up, and do appear on the sending OLED, but don’t go anywhere

I did delete the app from both Android devices, re-paired each to its own board, no change.

Sooooo now what? I haven’t yet found any Getting Started docs that go past the flashing and pairing. Is there a Usage doc I’m not seeing?

Installed 0.7.9 and everybody seems to be talking to each other. This is a pretty slick project!

Still need to go outside, see if both will get a GPS lock…

Update: On 0.7.8, one of the boards sat outside blinking red for 3hrs, never got a lock. After upping to 0.7.9, it got a lock in about 5 mins. But it’s intermittent, sometimes it never starts blinking red at all. I’ve now marked that board to make sure it’s the same one every time.

1 Like

Cool! Yeah. The first time you take the GPS outside is will need a long time to lock and download an almanac (up to 15 min). Thereafter it should be pretty fast (it has its own battery)

So, did some trials, and it appears that changing the channel name will break communications between devices. Everybody’s happy until one device changes the default channel name and shares it with everyone else. Tapping the link and choosing to change channels, all comms gone.

This seems kinda bad, since anyone nearby who installs Meshtastic will automatically join the #default channel.

2 Likes

I think it should work. are you sharing the QR code between the Android devices paired with the t-beams?

1 Like

I’m emailing the link from the device which changed the channel name, to the device wishing to join the new channel. Once the recipient clicks the link and accepts the change, everything quits working. Channel name was 6 alpha characters, first character capitalized. Might try one all lowercase, just to see, but I’m enjoying playing with it right now, don’t want to break it again just yet.

I can try scanning the QR code instead, but don’t assume it’ll be any different. Just have to find an app to do QR codes I guess, as the built-in cameras don’t seem to recognize them. I’m used to iOS, it’s just a feature baked into the camera app. :wink:

1 Like

yep - mailing the link should be equivalent to scanning the QR. Could someone else try @jefish’s test case and report back? I don’t know why it didn’t work. I could try to repro but my queue is kinda full right now and a second confirmation would be useful.

1 Like

I just gave it ago.

I tried changing the channel twice and using a the URL to join the channel and it worked both times and I tried the QR code once also and that worked as well.

that is with firmware 0.7.9 and android app 0.7.84 on an og pixel.

I didn’t try different “Channel Options”, I had it on Medium Range (but fast) for all three tests.

I’ve tried it 5 times now, and 3x it worked (emailing link and using the QR code). 2x everybody just got kicked off and I had to initiate a new channel change. Dunno why.

Hmm. Interesting and sounds like definitely a bug.