First test having trouble with two way communication

Hello,

I bought two TTGO-T-Beam devices off AliExpress. I’ve installed the Meshtastic on two different phones. I had a time getting the channels to be the same, but finally using the QR code I was able to get one device to connect to the other’s channel and now that device sees that user. Funny thing is the device that joined the channel does not see the other device. When I send from that device however the other invisible device can see the message. Any suggestions of things to start with to try?

Thank you

What version of the firmware did you flash?

Well it came flashed. Then when I connected with my phone it offered to upgrade the firmware so I allowed it. Now the debug logs are saying 1.1.32

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a hardware issue. I can see the one join consistently.

How did you manage to get both on the same channel? When I scan the QR code using android I get a URL resulting in a 404 page but that’s it. How do you get the app to recognize or import the string?

On the default channel I have been observing something similar to the OP. From the chat in the app one device could send to the other and the message showed up in the app as well. In the opposite direction the message showed up on the other device, but not in the app (despite active BT connection).

I was able to scan the QR code on one of my phones and that popped open the meshtastic app and worked. If I share the link through text then click on the link though I get your experience of getting a 404 page. I guess what would be nice in the app would be a place to paste a link manually.

Since I’ve posted after much more playing for no obvious reason I have finally seen both of them show up as paired. It seems very flaky though and doesn’t seem like they both stay connected for long. Not sure if this is just the Alpha thing?

I tried everything with the QR code. Nothing worked. Which QR scanner app worked for you?

I have three devices here with three different Android phones. After upgrading the fw on all three, they are all on #LongSlow-1. They see each other on this default channel and can send and receive messages between them.

An issue I observed receiving messages:
Two of the devices don’t show the messages from the each other in the app, only on the device display.
The two however both show the messages from device #3 in the app as well as on the device display.

I’m using my camera phone app. I think it’s related to this setting in the camera app. Our other phone can’t read the qr codes so it might require a certain version of Android.

Other hints I’ve found is rebooting the device. Turn them off then back on.

If you change out of the default channel, as noted by others, a restart is good — I found if I am lucky, to test from short range to long range, I just need to radio-select-toggle my device to "None (disable), wait, then select the Mestastic_#### node again.

Sometimes, I did a full power cycle.
Keep at it, it is rewarding =)