T-beam screens and app issue

Hey all, I managed to buy ttgo t-beams without screens. I have a good soldering kit and maybe even enough skill to attach them. Arenthese screens the correct part? https://www.amazon.com/SSD1306-Self-Luminous-Display-Compatible-Raspberry/dp/B08FD643VZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=SSD1306&qid=1610900312&sr=8-4

Also, can’t seem to get them to show up in the app on android 10. Flashed the latest firmware and got the pairing code via serial. Android shows the device connected but the app shows no devices. Any ideas on that?

You will want to order the single colour not the split screen blue and yellow option. Also the pin order of GND, VCC, SCK, SDA is not ideal (although can be used.) Ideally you want VCC, GND, SCK, SDA to align with the the TBeam pins, or a version that has the 0 ohm resistors that allow the VCC and GND pins to be swapped easily. There is some more info here Hardware Information · meshtastic/Meshtastic-device Wiki · GitHub

Maybe it’s in your link and I’m just being dense, but do you happen to know the part number? Also, maybe mouser or some other sites would be better than amazon? I don’t particularly want to source them from overseas so aliexpress and banggood are probably not great options for me. Thanks for your help!

They never really have part numbers that I know of, just clones of clones of clones.

Perhaps this one Monochrome 0.96" 128x64 I2C/SPI OLED Display - DFRobot

1 Like

I’m using these. The pins are correct for the T-Beam and they appear to be good quality.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0837DLWVH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Sweet, thanks!

Maybe I should make a separate post about the app issue… it shows “connected” in android after pairing, but never displays as connected in the app.

Quick follow up - I updated my Pixel 2 XL from Android 10 to Android 11 and the T-Beam now shows up in the app. I don’t see the position of the radio on the map view still, not sure why. I did notice this message in the console:

00:51:00 [GPS] WANT GPS=1
00:51:00 [GPS] Setting GPS power=1

And I haven’t seen any particular indication that it’s gotten GPS signal yet. Not sure if there’s some way to force it to try again?

Got the recommended screens installed without issue. Pairing and connecting with the device seems really finicky but did eventually work on the pixel 2xl. Currently trying to get the other device to connect to a galaxy s5. Bluetooth seems to be pairing fine but meshtastic constantly says the device is asleep. Not sure if I need to do something to wake it up?