I have two T-BEAMS and they don't talk... much

I’m trying to confirm the operation of two T-BEAMs with Android Pixel’s as the Bluetooth connected phones.

I am not sure if changing the channel name borked anything. Right now both phones say #local-D as the channel. I was unable to enter this and put in local and then locked and unlocked the channel until it cycled to -D this is kinda annoying. Ok so I emailed myself the channel URL and now a message appears on both units. It does not show the name (or initial) it shows three ???.

I do not see the other Phones’ USERNAME, nor do I see messages entered on either device, replicated to the other phone. The messages I send display on the front of the respective T-BEAM.

Is the UI that messages are only entered on the phone and read from the T-BEAM screen? I’m confused.

Why am I not seeing the name of the other user in the GUI on the phone?

1 Like

Hello! It’s a little hard to tell exactly what is going on in your situation. But I thought I’d give you a few ideas/thoughts that may or may not be helpful.

In my experience sometimes things take a little while to get working, especially initially. I have had tbeams show “???” for a while and then eventuality start showing initials correctly.

another thought, have you had them working at all? maybe try a fresh flash and start out not changing the channel. if I am not mistaken they should just automatically be able to talk to each other with the #default channel. once you have things working, maybe then try changing the channel. maybe you have already done this I don’t know, just a thought.

From some of what you said, It does sort of sound like they might not be on the same channel though, but I am not completely understanding all your questions.

anyway hope you figure it out!

1 Like

One unit won’t flash. It’s also dead after leaving them on overnight.

Serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connecting……_____

It sounds like the unit entered deep-sleep, which the default settings have it do to save battery if it doesn’t see any other nodes for 8 hrs. You can wake it by pressing the middle button (you should see the screen turn on)

All units should be flashable always (the esptool app whacks the board into the bootloader)

I removed the OLED and the two units network now… I can see debug info in the platformio terminal window. Before I did that I could not attach to it over the serial port…

1 Like

Hmm. Some oleds have a different pinout. Possibly the order of the four pins was not correct? And either messing up the i2c bus or the power rails?

Perhaps the same issue. Poorman's cases

1 Like