Device code release announcements

A post was split to a new topic: Question from a new user - can y’all help answer?

0.9.3 seemed to do okay in alpha test so now out. It will be included in the next android app release.

• @ColPanic improved the ESP flasher script!
  • @Dafeman improved the developer build instructions
  • fix #269 We now show a suffix on the channel names to make it more obvious if someone is inadvertently not sharing the channel URL correctly.
  • fix #249 Show battery levels even when we don’t have a GPS lock
  • fix #279 Show battery levels on TTGO LORA32 and TBEAM0.7
  • Add support for the @BigCorvus NRF52+SX1262 board
  • fix #327 Always factory reset the GPS once per install

Full list of changes here:

4 Likes

Yay! Thanks to everyone’s good work, I think we should call this 1.0 (because it is feature complete and fairly solid for the original ‘tool for hikers’ use case described at www.meshtastic.org).

This build is identical to the (successful) 0.9.7 alpha. I just bumped the number. Please though - would one of ya’ll tell me if this build worked nicely for you?

• @a-f-G-U-C fixed a number of GPS related problems. In particular the 8m ublox gpses should now work better. Also GPS sat locking should now work even with marginal signals.
  • @mc-hamster added a first draft of the much discussed GPS status screen
  • @Dafeman improved the build instructions
  • @Drewse added some more 3d printed case options
  • Fix a serious bug that could cause repeated BLE pairing messages on devices that have been used for a long time.

This week I’ll do a post that tries to reference the 1.1 feature list wiki. Please edit that wiki with your ideas. When I do that post we can then triage and propose which items are in the 1.1 bucket (because a developer wants to work on them mostly…).

btw: The android app seems to have a serious bug still with some Samsung devices. So as soon as that one is fixed, I’ll blessmotize that as 1.0. also.

8 Likes

Awesome job everyone!

3 Likes

Amazing work! It has been great to watch how this project has developed and it sounds like some awesome stuff in the pipeline.

Yes brilliant stuff. Well done.

This is the first 1.1.0 series release. Thank you to the alpha-testers to their early feedback on this release.

Changes since 1.0.0:

• @a-f-G-U-C fixed a bug where bogus GPS positions could be reported while GPS was doing initial lock. #397
  • @r51n added AU/NZ frequency ranges
  • Limit transmit power to 13 dBm in Japan (regulatory) #346
  • We were incorrectly setting transmit power too low on sx1262 based radios. The default is now 22 dBm.
  • The max power users could selection for sx127x radios was too low. You can now set up to 23 dBm, the default is still 17 dBm.
  • Added portunino support. Which currently enables development/debugging as a linux app (no need to run on ESP32/NRF52). Eventually will allow a much smaller/more portable version of the software on NRF52 devices and support for directly running meshtastic (with SPI radio chips) on Raspberry Piish boards. Alas, this feature is super alpha still and still not ready for ‘users’.
2 Likes

1.1.5 is now out of alpha test. It will be included in the next android app for OTA installation (or use the attached link to install over USB). Thank you to all of the great alpha testers with feedback.

Major changes since 1.1.0:

• @mc-hamster added Wifi support. If enabled by setting the access point name and password, the API port will be exposed on a TCP port 4403. Also there is an HTTP server embedded into the device.
  • @mc-hamster added a HTML UI
  • Much lower power consumption for all boards, but particularly boards with GPSes
  • SX1262 code had a bug that could cause sleep to hang (and enormous power draws)
  • Substantial cleanup of the GPS codebases
  • Add support for router mode (enable with “meshtastic --set-router”). Currently lowers power consumption even more than normal and ensures the devices will not go to sleep if permanently installed. Other enhancements for this config will come later in the 1.1 development queue.
  • There is now a factory_reset option you can set via the python tool to force the device to a factory state.
  • Region settings are now stored in flash, so that we can soon move away from having different builds for different regions.
  • Add support for the prototype TTGO eink device
  • Cleaned up threading model
  • Less FreeRTOS dependent (important for the port to Apache MyNewt - for low end NRF52s) and portduino (for linux and simulation)
  • Lower power consumption because the top level arduino loop() will be sleeping typically for 100s to thousands of msecs. This saves about 7mA when in the ‘active’ states. However, unlikely to change battery life much because our power consumption is dominated by the Light-Sleep state and in that state we were already pretty optimal.
  • Lower latency - because we will be able to instantly wake for ble, button press or lora rx. Because there will no longer be the nasty 10ms sleep we had in loop() to save power. Instead there is a new InterruptableDelay class which allows sleeping and instantly waking if needed. This will help once we add (much needed) optimizations to run faster at the short-range/high-speed settings. It also speeds up bluetooth communication.
5 Likes

The 1.1 tree is progressing nicely - thanks to alpha testers and developers! So I’ve just blessed 1.1.32 as a “beta” and made that the default release on github and inside the android app.

3 Likes