Burning Man 2023

Carry-on from the 2022 thread… place to discuss setup for BM?

Since Golden Spike data is out, I updated my hacky (but tested/working) code to show BRC coordinates:

I’ll probably periodically sync to latest alpha/beta - if there’s a release version soon, I’ll pin to that, or that + bugfixes.

This now not only tells you what street letter a person is on, but how far from the center of the street, so you have an idea which side. (negative numbers towards the man / positive away from the man) eg 3:32 & D -60ft

Personally I’ll be at Temple of the Flying Spaghetti Monster at 3:30 & D corner.

fwiw, last year, I didn’t have much luck getting further than ~3000ft most of the time. Probably need antenna to be higher than just RV roof.

I had a lot of problems with the ~3 t-echos I had loosing config - I think because they’re easy to reboot, their fs got corrupted? I might put a protector around the reboot button.

3 Likes

This is super exciting! I’ll probably be flashing this (on playa) :slight_smile:

Good to know about the t-echos… we have ~30 of them for our camp…

I’m at 3:25 and A, Electric Kool-Aid Vision Quest, come check out the Balloon Room and The Void on one of your adventures towards esplanade! :slight_smile:

At the 3:30 and Esplanade corner our village has a 30’ tall dome, we are planning to mount one of our devices up there, so hopefully that’ll help with range at least heading towards and hopefully beyond the man.

Any chance your firmware files are in a state that could be shared? Relearning and getting PlatformIO might be a fun endeavor, but would otherwise spend the time on some other space madness… (We run T-Echos and a few T-Beams)
Thanks!!

I’ll be at Ranger Camp Tokyo (9:00@C) and elsewhere; see y’all out there. Just two nodes.

yeah, it’s crazy that the t-echo button is a reset button. maybe someone can 3d print something that blocks that button? it’s kind of a useless button anyway other than double tap for firmware. not sure why youd’ ever hit the reset button in general. But taking it in and out of the pocket it’s way too easy to hit that button.

This is my current case for the t-echo. But it needs some more polish…
When I am done, I will upload this case to printables.
If you want to print this version, let me know.

1 Like

its not that bad in practice. It just reboots the device. Wait about 5 seconds and youre up and running again, the bluetooth auto reconnects to your phone and you done lose any settings.

i’m considering whether to open them up, pull out the button and slice the end of it off in the camp kitchen… as it is, we’re loading the truck for the desert tomorrow and they’re all already packed.

As mentioned in the first post, I think the problem with losing settings was due to resets - at least once or twice I had to fully wipe the device due to file system corruption.

You need the reset button if you put it to sleep. So I’m trying adding craft foam around it. Probably not perfect but should prevent most accidental resets while in a bag.

As for precompiled, I wasn’t planning to release images - I don’t know how to upload without Platform IO. But I guess I can do a build

Test build: Release Test build · tschundler/Meshtastic-device · GitHub

2 Likes

I am wondering: Did I talk to you on reddit by any chance?

Kaleidoscope Cafe 9 + B plaza, I will have a rak with a big omni antenna as a repeater on top of our 26ft tower. Please come say hi to Pablo.

I’ll be bring a rak as a repeater and 3 t echos for our group. We’ll be doing open camping so not sure on location.

Happy to hear there will be some presence on the playa this year.

HI! I just received 2 t-echos that I ordered today and got them up and running on 2.1.23.
I’ll be honest, I have barely have any idea what I’m doing, but I’m really excited to see how well these work. I’ll be at Red Nose District at 2:15 and Esplanade. Hoping to meet some of you all out there and learn more!

As I’ve mentioned in my introductory post, I barely have any idea what I’m doing. I was able to update the firmware for my t-echos with the official firmware files provided by meshtastic, but I don’t have any idea what to do with this file posted here. i’m not asking for a step by step tutorial but if you could explain some type of outline, summary of what i need to do, i’d be very grateful! That functionality sounds really awesome and helpful.
Even if I don’t get things figured out completely for the burn, I’d love to meet up with anyone who is interested and learn more. If there are any workshops or lecture type events planned, I’d love to know!

1 Like

I’ve just flashed @tschundler’s version of the firmware onto my T-Echos, happy to share my process/experience. Best way to get in touch and ask questions is on the Meshtastic Discord (Meshtastic); there’s a “burning-man-festival” thread under the “events” channel where a number of us have been coordinating.

I don’t believe so. This is the only place I’ve talked about LoRA.

Just curious, what channel setting is being used at Burning Man, what kind of range is being had, and how many users/devices are on the network?

If you join the discord, under #events there’s a thread #burning-man-festival there’s a number of folks posting about this there including screenshots of the coverage. It looks like so far there’s pretty decent coverage and that’s expected to grow as more people arrive.

1 Like