Not an Meshtastic post but one that might intrest some

This weekend is the ALLR/TAPR virtual online digital communications conference and it will be streamed for free on youtube. There are some very relevant topics such as Mobile Mesh Tower Fleet by Erik Westgard, QMesh: A Synchronized, Flooded Mesh Network Protocol for Voice by Dan Fay, Ph.D., Evaluation of uBlox GPS Receivers Performance by John Ackermann, and many other presenters presenting their papers on other digital communications. Do check it out at https://tapr.org/preliminary-dcc-schedule/ I think some will be interested even though it’s a ham radio conference and some might be shocked to know ham radio is so similar to Meshtastic in so many ways with so many different projects. We are not all 80-year-olds chatting on “heath kits”. Who knows maybe next year Meshtastic can present. Cheers Scott

3 Likes

Sounds great! I’m also a ham and used to write a fair amount of aprs stuff.

2 Likes

There are so many similarities to APRS but with the advantage of building the system with a clean stale and not hobbling together something that has been around for 30 years with its limitations.

1 Like

Yes. And omg the aprs protocol (though a noble effort with wide adoption) is so poorly designed.

1 Like

The one thing that could be added one point down the road is weather stations with wind (speed and direction), humidity, pressure and temperature. Just think how this would help out in areas prone to forest fires if one could see the live wind speed and direction if a forest fire was in the area.

About a year ago I was trying to talk a group of programmers into making a weather station mech like this that could be deployed via helicopter. If each unit was fastened to the end of a javelin type pole they could just be dropped out of the chopper. I’m sure CAL fire would buy lots of these units.