Windows based firmware install?

HI,
Is there an easy way to flash the metastatic firmware from platform IO in say visual Studio on windows.
I’m keen to in stall but don’t have heaps of command line experience and getting no where with it.

Is there more instructions on this??
I have purchased 2x LoRa 32 V2’s and I must say, very well built, just need to get metastatic loaded.
cheers
Jason

Absolutely. VSCode with PIO has the flashing capability. I would still suggest to use esptool.py to flash if you are using the provided firmware and not doing recompilation of the sources.

@molnars ,
thanks heaps for the reply.
I tried looking for esptool.py via libraries, but POI could not find.
Any suggestion there???
jas

Hi, you need to get the esptool and install it. (https://github.com/espressif/esptool)
(btw, you don’t need to use vscode unless you are recompiling the code from source. if you are, then you can do this: “C:\USERS<youruser>.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe run --target upload” this will compile and upload the newly build firmware)
There is a pre-compiled binary version at: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-esp32/releases/
choose the latest version (current is 0.1.8) and under assets get the firmware-x.x.x.zip
The zip contains the firmware for your board (Heltec or TTGO) to upload to the board. you will need to match your frequency your board is using (and is legal in your location).
Follow the instructions from here: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-esp32

@molnars,
Thanks again in advance, hope the COVID19 situation not too bad for you, we just getting lockdown happening here in NZ.
Ive loaded sucessfulley now Python and Pip into my subfolder under C:/users/Jason ( windows machine)
but now getting this error when I run the pip install esptool as per instructions.

folder of files:
check for Python and Pip!
C:\Users\jason>pip --version
pip 20.0.2 from C:\Users\jason\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.8)
Check for setuptools etc
C:\Users\jason>python -m pip install --upgrade pip setuptools wheel
Requirement already up-to-date: pip in c:\users\jason\lib\site-packages (20.0.2)
Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in c:\users\jason\lib\site-packages (46.1.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: wheel in c:\users\jason\lib\site-packages (0.34.2)

py serial install
C:\Users\jason>pip install pyserial
Collecting pyserial
Using cached pyserial-3.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl (193 kB)
Installing collected packages: pyserial
Successfully installed pyserial-3.4
Any idea why?? Getting close now… cheers Jason

error:
[C:\Users\jason>pip3 install --upgrade esptool
Collecting esptool
Using cached esptool-2.8.tar.gz (84 kB)
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: ‘c:\python.exe’ -c ‘import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = ‘"’"‘C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-2refyzpl\esptool\setup.py’"’"’; file=’"’"‘C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-2refyzpl\esptool\setup.py’"’"’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘"’"‘open’"’"’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’"’"’\r\n’"’"’, ‘"’"’\n’"’"’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘"’"‘exec’"’"’))’ egg_info --egg-base ‘C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-2refyzpl\esptool\pip-egg-info’
cwd: C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-2refyzpl\esptool
Complete output (3 lines):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’
----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

C:\Users\jason>pip install esptool
Collecting esptool
Using cached esptool-2.8.tar.gz (84 kB)
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: ‘c:\python.exe’ -c ‘import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = ‘"’"‘C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-229_p0z2\esptool\setup.py’"’"’; file=’"’"‘C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-229_p0z2\esptool\setup.py’"’"’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘"’"‘open’"’"’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’"’"’\r\n’"’"’, ‘"’"’\n’"’"’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘"’"‘exec’"’"’))’ egg_info --egg-base ‘C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-229_p0z2\esptool\pip-egg-info’
cwd: C:\Users\jason\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-229_p0z2\esptool
Complete output (3 lines):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’
----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.]

Hmm, I’m sorry I don’t have windows, but it seems from my reading like https://stackoverflow.com/a/24733673 should help.

@Jasontwd you could try this out. GUI Install for Windows and Mac

1 Like

@dafeman, cheers, worked very well and easy as. Got Both nodes onto Meshtastic.
cheers for that J

1 Like

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback. I’m also in lockdown in NZ. Fun times!

1 Like