Very basic location beacon override (feature req)

I’ve read the discussion on 6-15min location beacon timers, and agree that users shouldn’t be able to simply set the timer to 0 within the app. https://meshtastic.discourse.group/t/lost-messages-while-testing/2455/19

However, I would like to make a case for a very simple compromise: A one-time trigger to override timers and send location immediately, for emergency use. This can be a software button on the app and/or button combo on the radio device itself. The button can then be locked out on timer to discourage abuse.

Optionally, this one-time beacon could also carry a priority flag/bit to show a suitable notification on the app/device screen. But I understand if this requires more work than “simple” suggests.

I may be wrong, but I think this basic trigger can offer good utility for relatively little dev work. Just send a location packet now, then go back to operating normally. (Continuous beacon, tracking, noonlight, etc are advanced features that can come later of course)

Given typical use cases for Meshtastic, I can imagine there would be plenty of situations where a user needs to share their location with others right now, rather than wait 6-15 mins for the next cycle.

Sorry I’m not a programmer, otherwise I’d do it myself :stuck_out_tongue: Thoughts?

I too have wanted a “ping the entire network now” type feature. Sends my location, asks everyone else for theirs…does it now.

I think a manual poll is a good idea.

1 Like