T-Echos Reliability

It’s the same with mine. I bought them in October and they run version 1.2.53

I ordered a SWD connector and I’ll try to burn a new bootloader and see if that works.

In the meantime I’ll try to debug the firmware.

1 Like

I don’t think is_always_powered is going to do anything for a nrf52 devices, they don’t sleep at all in any meshtastic code.

Thanks for the info. I think adding is_always_powered became a habit for me on all my devices. Like wait_bluetooth_secs - I always add that too.

SWD debug tool is generally not required to update the nRF52840 bootloader.
Simple “drag-and-drop” method for the bootloader’s UF2 binary is typically sufficient.

1 Like

The exact same thing happened to me!

Is there any possibility to erase the whole device? Surprisingly my device won’t boot meshtastic anymore but it boots SoftRF. I think some settings were left behind by Meshtastic and they are not getting erased.

Hey @Nanovitruvius

What exactly were you experiencing before you fixed your T-Echo? Was it booting the Mesthastic firmware at all or not?

Also, can you show me how exactly you connected your SWD to the T-Echo? I saw a picture on GitHub but it is quite confusing.

@abl
Did you ever get it to work?

Recently ordered two T-Echo and I am very disappointed.
Have flashed the latest firmware (1.2.59). The devices go into deep sleep mode and no longer wake up. Currently useless with Meshtastic.

Any advice?

1 Like

For now, I’m trying to fix these issues. I have a T-Echo on the way donated by a forum member. I received 2 previously and they both stopped working.

The bugs are in software only. The hardware seems to be fine since the SoftRF firmware works absolutely fine.

1 Like

is there a way to support you? i am a software developer. unfortunately i have no experience in hardware or firmware development. i wouldn’t know where to start with this problem.

If T-Echos are useless to you, I’ll appreciate it if you can send them over.

I don’t have a functioning unit as of now, and I need at least 2 for testing.

As for software, if you have any programming experience then with some time and effort you can get into firmware development as well.

i have two here. however, it is the 868mhz version and i am in germany.

maybe we can crowfund you another device. i would participate with 15$. that would probably cost the shipping to you. maybe you can start a funding campaign or i can send it to you via paypal.

If the hardware is still working, what’s wrong with what you have? Let’s troubleshoot it.

I think it’s suspicious that two separate devices are not working. I’d bet we can get those working a lot quicker than getting more hardware from the community.

Please share the device logs or anything you have to share.

Let me know when you’re free.

@root The problem is not money. I do not want people sending me money (a few offered this before), or buying new devices for me. I could easily buy T-Echos, but I don’t because it’s a waste of money currently. Instead, I find it better to repurpose T-Echos already lying around with other people.

@mc-hamster It’s the same issue I shared over Discord. One has a fried radio chip, so I am not even counting it. The other one refuses to boot Meshtastic. I cannot even get logs off from the device. Serial output shows nothing. But as soon as SoftRF is flashed, it works perfectly, serial output works as well. I tried 5-6 releases of meshtastic on it, even the version provided by Lilygo, but nothing worked. My JTAG efforts are currently stalled since shipping from Ali is affected by the current war.

I asked for more hardware from the community, so that I continue fixing software bugs instead of fighting with hardware ( I suck a lot at dealing with soldering irons :smiley: )

We can get on a discord call whenever you’d like.

Well that’s a bugger isn’t it?

i didn’t mean to offend you. just offering my help. i find sending my devices halfway around the world a waste of money when you could buy a device directly.

if i can support you in any way, please feel free to contact me.

Hi @kokroo I have two t-echos - their hardware seems okay although I have tried adding better antenna (hence the holes and the case screws a bit loose!). I am in the UK - if you would like them please send me an address for you?

1 Like

Hey @root

I am not offended. I’m not sure what tone you read my message in :smiley:

I was merely informing you about the situation. Shipping costs about 3 to 5 euros via German post, to Poland.

I live right next to you in Poland :wink:

@feh123,

Hello Fred,

Are you saying your devices work perfectly for you? As in, the messages go across and GPS works?