T-Echos Reliability

Hi @kokroo sorry I should have said - my t-echos have the usual problems - freeze on sleep, no sats or unreliable sats. However radio meshing and messaging does work!

cześć! :grinning:

donā€™t ask me why but somehow i had canada in mind.
in that case, iā€™ll be happy to send you my t-echos if you like.

@feh123 and @root (Czesc!)

I will send you my address and details in a private message.

1 Like

I got a couple of these, seem a bit flaky. They do send messages and get a GPS fix. However it shows the devices are 3726 miles apart. Or sometimes 4242 miles.

Sometimes one of them goes to sleep and never wakes up. However the other does not seem to have this problem. Both running latest software installed with Meshtastic flasher.

I updated my t-echos to the same version and have the same issue. I find it will come out of deep sleep if I connect it to a power source. Sucks to need to keep a power bank around to turn this bugger on, but thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been able to get working.

As with others, I have gotten the meshtastic to work and connected it to ATAK but GPS coordinates are lacking at this time.

Clearly kicking myself and realized I should have bought some t-beams instead. Hoping updated solutions will fix this.

1 Like

I spend a whole weekend reprogramming my t-echo which was totally dead in the meshtastic sleepmode. Let me share how I did it (and I will skip all the things that did not work).

I flashed using a cheap st-linkv2 cable and I used Openocd (on Linux but also on Windows, works both). Not to old version to be able to support the nrf52 processor.

This is the command I used:
openocd.exe -f interface/my-stlink-v2.cfg -f target/nrf52.cfg -c ā€œinitā€ -c ā€œhaltā€ -c ā€œflash write_image erase boot.hex 0x000000 ihexā€ -c ā€œshutdownā€

Meshtashtic is still sleeping regardless of the version, but at least I got back the control and I can change versionsā€¦

1 Like

Hey, can you click a picture of how you connected your st-linkv2 to the T-Echo? Did you use DuPont cable (male to a female)?

I tried connecting my JLINK to my T-Echo, it does not show up. Now I am not sure if itā€™s JLINK not working, the cables not making a good connection, or the T-Echo not responding.

I donā€™t know if this is related but I remember in early days some devices had GPS issues and one of the root causes was the state the GPS module was in due to previous firmware.

My limited understanding was Meshtastic expecting to talk and see data a specific way but the GPS was operating in a different mode.

I soldered a four pin header next to the usb connector of the t-echo.

• first pin (closest to the usb) connects to the SWDIO pin on the stlinkv2
  • second pin connects to the SWCLK pin on the stlink
  • third pin connects to the GND pin on the stlink
  • fourth pin connects to the 3.3 Volt pin on the stlink
    I used four female to female patch cords.

I am afraid I cannot make it clearer with a picture. If you do this and the t-echo cannot be seen, then maybe one of the pins of the header has not been properly soldered to the t-echo. Also, before I connected the t-echo I jtaged a STM processor just to test the proper working of the stlink on my computerā€¦

What is this exactly? I want to know what kind of cables are used.

Something like these https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/premium-female-female-jumper-wires/60161

This is the cable that came with the stlink standard stlink cable

If you dont want to solder use this clip

@palbeda How would a female end connect to the T-Echo board?

@mark.birss Does this clip have male connectors that go through the hole? Or do they just touch it with slight pressure?

He soldered on headers

The clip uses Pogo Pins

Pogo pins are basically spring-loaded metal sticks (spear shaped). They will not go completely though the holes but make contact - widely used for JTAG and other flash tasks

Indeed Garth, thatā€™s what I did

Yes. I have them and Iā€™m seeing the same issues mentioned here. Once in standby mode (glowing left red led) you need USB power to get them to boot again, and GPS fix takes a REALLY long time (>15 minutes) even with a warm boot, and then I get totally weird GPS fixes with odd numbers like (38.XXXXXX, 6.3333333) and the like.

On the positive side, the radio aspect seems to be working flawlessly, as is the bluetooth, and I can connect from my phone to either and send a message to the other.

It seems to be chewing through a lot of battery, seems like maybe the power saving mode hasnā€™t been implemented there, although itā€™s difficult for me to assess that as a user because I donā€™t have sensible position reporting from one to the other, so I canā€™t tell if putting it in standby is still sending anything.

It looks like youā€™re a developer on Meshtastic maybe?

It sounds like what someone is saying above - about the GPS being in a bad state because of booting the with some other firmware (which I did, btw, I booted it with the builtin firmware before flashing meshtastic) that I could just reset the GPS device and potentially get it workingā€¦ I see that thereā€™s a pinout on the back of the GPS reset pin, should I try that?

I wouldnā€™t call myself a developer on the Meshtastic team yet but Iā€™m trying to be one :smiley:

Iā€™d like to know the battery consumption of your T-Echo device. Ideally it should last a few days but I havenā€™t been able to test the longevity yet.

The GPS seems to have been fixed in alpha versions of the firmware but the reset button issue still exists. Iā€™m trying to crack it, hopefully itā€™ll be resolved soon.

You made a good point about the power consumption, I never paid much attention to it.