T-Echos Reliability

On Discord I did ask the question who finds the T-Echo works well. The one response I got was from someone who bought their T-Echo one month ago. Mine was bought July 21 so I did wonder if Lilygo have made improvements maybe to the bootloader? I have not purchased a J-Link device so I am limited to what I can check out re bootloaders!

Perhaps we need to ask around more owners. I donā€™t think a lot of people own these.

I own 2 ā€“ while I love the form factor/size/and BT5 (which on paper is ideal), currently they are next to useless in terms of reliability and even functionality for Meshtastic.

Itā€™s sad because again the shape and energy usage are superb. It comes ā€œall in oneā€, including a display and case, and it would make the ideal ā€œon personā€ device for camping/hiking/etc.

Hello @ventz
Another user on this forum is sending me 2 of their T-Echos so that I can start looking into fixing bugs on the firmware.

If these devices are useless for you, would you mind posting them to me?

Also, what frequency are they on?

@kokroo I use them - they are just ā€œless than Idealā€. I was replying to this post as I bricked one with .50 (fixed now), and I was a bit extra frustrated.

I know its all firmware. But I really do wish they were better. As more developers get them, hopefully they will get better.

But as of today, the T Bridges are night and day better. Just wish they had BT5 and a slightly better form factor for the board.

My 2 T-Beams habeen berry, berry goood to meee! :slight_smile:

T Bridges? Is that another board or did you mean T Beams?

Thanks for trying to fix these T-Echos. It would be great to know why they are failing!

I think the hardware is fine but the firmware needs some small tweaks. An older firmware is reportedly working ā€˜fineā€™. Iā€™m going to compare the source code of that older version and the latest one and see what changes were made and whatā€™s breaking it.

Do we need JTAG and SWD, or just one of them?

Iā€™m going to order whatever is needed, Iā€™d really appreciate your advice on this. Iā€™m scouting on AliExpress for a cheap option. Also, how exactly do you connect it to the T-Echo?

This is what Iā€™ve used. Itā€™s currently sold out on amazon, may be available on aliexpress.

https://amzn.to/31L27lj

SWD is what you need. You have to solder on a header on the t-echo in a corner of the PCB. I think there fairly detailed instructions with images in one of the links in an earlier post of mine.

Could you please post that link again? I am unable to find it, thanks!

@Nanovitruvius @mc-hamster
Do you think the V9 on this Aliexpress product page is what I need?

Or maybe the second link?

I assume the v9 in the first of your links is a newer better version of what i have and should work just fine

Hereā€™s the Link from my earlier post with the relevant instructions.

I am not able to see clearly what to connect. I am not sure which one is the Echo in that picture, and which one is the Jlink. Could you possibly click some clear wide pictures of your setup? Thanks!

Are your T-Echos working perfectly now? GPS? Texts? Sleep?

I have not received my SWD programmer yet, hence it will be a while before I can attempt the bootloader fix!

There are still a ton of bugs, they work best powered.

My two, bought July 21, are still useless. I keep updating them to the latest software - currently on 1.2.52 - they will mesh and text but gps is useless and buttons still freeze even with is_always_powered true. I will try 1.2.53 just to check.