Sleep explainer

As a new user, I can understand that it make sense to have the device sleep frequently, but it’s not obvious what the effect of sleep is on how to use the system. I’d really like a doc that explains to newbies like me how to think about sleep.

For example, if the app knows it’s associated, but the device is asleep, and I send a message, can I expect that the message will get sent? Or do I need to wake the device first? Is there an indication that it’s not sent yet but will be?

If devices are sleeping, are they doing so in sync, so that when my device sends a message I can expect that other devices in the mesh are also awake to listen for it?

I can guess answers to all of these questions, but I think it would help new users a lot to have a doc that clearly spells it all out.

1 Like

To piggyback on this question because I was wondering the same thing,
I would also like some more info on the options on ‘advanced settings’ in the app. Assuming “broadcast position period” is how often your coordinates are pinged to the rest of the mesh, but is the “device sleep period” how long the device sleeps, or how long the before the device goes to sleep after waking it?

1 Like

@geeksville , @sachaw

I’m also trying to find out details about how sleep works – and the other side, when/how does the device wake? For now, since I’m operating with a fixed location, I’m setting phone_timeout_secs to a high value and that seems to do what I want.

Currently it resides in a few places:

(I split router off of power settings because it seemed like something lots of people want to mess around with)

Note: There’s still some shuffling happening and duplication in the docs, so these may move around slightly. But they are good as of today.

2 Likes

We have talked about building some diagrams to show how the various cycles run on the device with specific settings, but haven’t had the bandwidth to do it yet.

This section on the docs goes into some detail about how you can tell if your device is connected/sleeping/out of range on android.

@jfirwin Thanks for the links to those docs. After reading, here are what I think are answers to my questions:

If the device is sleeping and you don’t wake it, your message may be delayed an average of 7.5min. But you can hit a button to wake it and it your message should go pretty quick.

A little cloud with an arrow pointing up seems to indicate this?

No, but the idea has come up and is listed as maybe a bad idea. However, in most states the LoRa radio is receiving and will wake the device if something comes in. So If you want to send a message now, hit the button to wake your device and other devices should wake up to deliver the message.

Let me know if I’m wrong. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up! I think most of that sounds correct. I’ll need to dig into it but I’ll add it to the appropriate docs. Bookmarking for future reference!

1 Like

Good day. I have tested some different firmwares and few android app versions. But I have the same problem all the time. Devices are going to sleep. When I write a message it can not reach other devices, because they are all in the sleep. Is there some solutions to make messaging stable? Some messages are being not delivered. I am writing, but I do not know, is my message reached other phone or not. Devices are close to each other. But communication is very unstable. Maybe I am using wrong versions or settings? Please help me with that. Thank you. P.S.: I want to make a little network in Lithuania (Vilnius city).

Welcome Driuxogenium,
What hardware are you using?

Good day. I have 3 pcs. of LILYGO TTGO 433Mhz. T-Beam T22 v1.1.
Now I have updated firmware to v1.2.45.
My Android APP is v1.2.45.

There are few things that making communication very unstable.

1. Sleep. When you going to the APP - you can see, that device is in sleep mode.
    You can write a message, but no reaction for a long time.
  2. When your device is not in sleep mode, you can try to send the message. But that will not guarantee you, that other devices will get it. Because they are in sleep mode.
  3. Some messages are just not delivered and skipped. Sometimes I can send something when I am trying to message twice.
  4. Sometimes when I send 3 messages, other devices can get those in random order.