Settings for driving around to find other nodes?

If I drive around town, what detailed settings should I use to find other nodes on the default channel?? I have a high quality ext. antenna on the vehicle…

Thanks

Mike in Dewey, AZ

2 Likes

If all you have set is the US region you are on the default channel.

Yes, any other settings to make it easier to find other nodes??

No, you need to be using the default settings to find other users with default settings.

when wardriving:
maybe reboot your device every 5 minutes somehow,
that way you get other nodes to answer your node faster…
or maybe it helps if you only set nodeinfo broadcast interval to 60 seconds…
other devices will only answer, when they get some signal (that they can answer to) from your device…
if other devices automatically only send information every 50minutes, you will miss them :slight_smile:
default channel is a must :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats what I needed, thanks

one more:
you can also do this:
USE ONLY 1 DEVICE in our car.
then go on default channel/ or other channel but default channel modem setting.
send text messages, if you get a single checkmark some other node received and broadcasted it- even if on another channel.
from that position you can check if something else is on default channel… maybe reboot, to provoke noedinfo-answer…

1 Like

With firmware >2.1.0 you don’t need to reboot to trigger a NodeInfo packet. It will automatically send this and request a response upon hearing any packet from a new node.

4 Likes

no matter what i set this value too ?? i get 3600 sec, when reconnecting to my unit…
WHY =?==

Looks like NodeInfo regular broadcasts have a minimum of 1 hour now, since firmware 2.3.2. NodeInfo broadcast ensure default on 0 and enforce 1 hour minimum by thebentern · Pull Request #3415 · meshtastic/firmware · GitHub

For wardriving, enabling smart position seems enough to keep the nodes list up to date. If a new node is found you will send your NodeInfo and ask for a response automatically, regardless of the 3600 sec minimum.

1 Like

looks like a very good idea for UK
but very ignoring for all low usage areas like my location
it is also poorly implemented, the app let you input values under 3600
you save and upload, next reconnect, you get 3600
but I understand phone app and hardware unit different fw release,
so this is maybe the only way…

Yeah I get the minimum for hourly nodeinfo broadcast if your surrounded by nodes, it will just use up airtime but what about when you’re just trying to find any contact where the mesh is very sparse?

As far as I know, texting is the only way. Range tests are sent with 0 hop, so I you can’t get other nodes to respond to that either. Maybe reboot to force a nodeinfo broadcast is the only way to do it.

Use the “smart position” feature (possibly with limited precision) that will broadcast your location only when you moved. If a node hears any packet and doesn’t know you yet, it will send out its NodeInfo and your node will do so as well (if it didn’t do this yet in the last 5 minutes).

Besides that, device telemetry is sent every 15 minutes by default.

Thank you for enlightening me. Haven’t looked into the smart position feature.

So if I just enable it and set the position broadcast interval to what ever I want, it will broadcast with that interval given that I keep moving.

Yes, you can configure the minimum distance and interval.