Possibly switching android analytics provider. Feedback requested

Hi ya’ll,

Sometime in the next few weeks we’ll be switching the (optional, you’ll still be able to opt-out) analytics & crash-reporting provider for the android app. Anyone have opinions on particular providers? Currently we use google because it was easy and they have good privacy policies. But really, the only thing we are using from them is the analytics, and we could strip a bunch out by using some other provider.

I had previously used fabric on some other project and this reddit thread says the current microsoft offering is nice.

Btw three options are ‘unacceptable :smile:’ to me:

• No analytics - because OMG it is so useful for tracking aggregate (anonymized) usage and most of our fixable bug-reports come in that way. We never even log ‘sensitive’ stuff like usernames, content of chats, coordinates etc…
  • Changing the default from ‘opt out’ to ‘opt in’. Because if it is the latter, the data quickly becomes non-representative. But opting-out will always be easy and it 100% opts you out.
  • Any analytics solution that requires that we ‘self host’ the server. Because we have enough on our (volunteer) plates that I don’t want to be admining yet another server just for analytics.
4 Likes

Analitycs!
Not a problem for me as I use Meshtastic offline with phones without internet. And if any of my friends make a mistake to connect their phone to the internet with Meshtastic, I leave them alone in the mountains without shoes :grin:
I’m kidding of course :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think it’s indifferent, you have to focus on the simplicity of the service and a bit of anonymity, nothing else.
If they speak well of Microsoft, go for Microsoft why not :slightly_smiling_face:
A little question
A list of the data that the Meshtastic App sends?
Would a log be possible?

1 Like

Sure. Good point. I’ll post a screenshot and a typical log in the next couple of days.

1 Like