Pinetab/Pinecom/Pinephone

@geeksville, I’ve seen you mention several times that you’ll be working on Pinetab support.
Do you have a Pinetab in head? Does it have a LoRa board? Their website implies that it’s an optional extension but I can’t find it for sale.

On a related note, in their latest update, they have mentioned a new device, PineCome, with Lora and possibly creating a LoRa back cover for the PinePhone.

3 Likes

The PineCom looks promising https://www.pine64.org/2020/10/15/update-new-hacktober-gear/

I hope for a rugged device that I can wear on my running bag to check my running mates if they are still ok in case are out of sight (then we would need something like status messages: all ok, please wait, I am injured,… but this have to be part of another topic…). To bad they will come with a similar device to PinePhone with the same OS and probably same SoC - not really intended for a low power device… But if @geeksville will port Meshtastic protocol to their OS, it t will help a loot to spread Mesthastic :slight_smile:

1 Like

The pinetab folks were kind enough to send me a pinetab with lora. Alas, they sent it on a super slow boat and it arrived at my house after I left the US. I had a friend ship it to me here in Taiwan and it should arrive in about a week?

I’ll update my work queue and do a new post with where pinetab might happen in a few minutes. Part of the reason I did portduino is so I could port meshtastic to run on the pinetab (or any other linux computer).

4 Likes

Thanks Geeksville. I’ll hold out for a potential PineTab Pro and hopefully the LoRa board will be compatible

The guys from popcorn computer have a handheld unix device ante portas. They got a version with lora.

• [U-BLOX CAM-M8Q] concurrent GNSS module
  • [Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078] LoRa Module:
    • STMicro STM32L0 series ARM Cortex M0+ MCU
    • Semtech SX1276 ultra-long range wireless transceiver

Perhaps one more device for the portuino project?

1 Like

Btw I just received the Lora pinetab. I’ve got about 2-3 weeks of other tasks in my queue before it (see my other thread) but it looks pretty slick.

3 Likes

Is the module hidden behind the rear case of the tablet? Is it obviously accessible?

1 Like

I haven’t cracked the case yet (have only a schematic), but supposedly it is a M.2 format expansion card like used in laptops.

an update on this: an important component needed to use lora was missing on my pinetab. The pinetab folks are shipping me the missing part - I should have it in a couple of weeks.

an update on this: an important component needed to use lora was missing on my pinetab. The pinetab folks are shipping me the missing part - I should have it in a couple of weeks.

2 Likes

An update: Apparently the missing parts have arrived at my house. But I won’t be using it for 2-3 weeks - other higher priority things are still in my meshtastic hobby task list/queue. But I now have the hardware.

5 Likes