Ooh. The Pine64 folks just sent this prototype!

I think it is essentially a ‘meshtastic router node (waterproof, solar powered)’.

For mounting in an area with good line of sight to route for an meshtastic devices in a region.

Though to be clear: it will be a bit of time before meshtastic is running on this - I’ve got some other bugfixes to get out and the CPU (bl604) needs some library work first before it is ready.

13 Likes

Hello. Looks awesome. What hardware is the module based on?

sx1262 and a bl604 cpu

1 Like

That’s really exicting. I guess that’s one of the PineDio products. It seems they have several end-node units planned, according to the Pine wiki:

• loRa back case for the PinePhone
  • standalone USB dongle-type end-node adapter
  • PineTab adapter
  • as well as a SPI module (which can also be configured as a USB LoRa dongle)
  • a LoRa stick powered by a single 18650 battery (using the BL602, and can be fitted with GPS, an low-power OLED panel and additional sensors)

All the end-nodes use the SX1262 chip.

I was actually excited about the USB dongle, so I could simply plug it to a Pi and have it run Meshtastic without needing any extra hardware. Might still be far from that.

But the hardware in your picture seems like a really compact router node.

2 Likes

Yeah. They sent me some of those a few weeks ago. It is already ‘alpha’ level supported in the current build. I’ll write a short doc soon on how to use it. They said they were putting it up for sale soon.

2 Likes

I shall follow this with great interest…

1 Like

It looks like it is for sale now: LoStik | Crowd Supply

Well… it was too good to be true. When I try, it says that it is out of stock.

It was worth a try I suppose. I would very much love to be able to use this on a PI with python to be able to play with the Meshtastic mesh… that would be really nice.

I think that is something different. The pine64 board looks different. I’ll ask them where to buy it.

1 Like

I see you added a library… for this usb dongle.

With some luck the Pine64 folks will sell one soon…

They are available to buy

Oh wow. Can’t wait to see the final version.

Meshtastic has zero support yet, and we have no idea how hard it is going to be but you can buy them from pine PineDio USB LoRa Adapter - PINE STORE

2 Likes