New Plugin - RangeTestPlugin

What are your channel settings? Long slow?

Recommended settings for the sender:

Long Slow  ... range_test_plugin_sender = 60
Long Alt   ... range_test_plugin_sender = 30
Medium     ... range_test_plugin_sender = 15
Short Fast ... range_test_plugin_sender = 15

can anyone give me guidance on the correct syntax configuring the RangeTestPlugin as a sender via pythonAPI?

I think this is the command you’re looking for:

meshtastic --set range_test_plugin_sender 0

2 Likes

These are the three python api commands for the plugin

# Range Testing Plugin
meshtastic --set range_test_plugin_sender 60
meshtastic --set range_test_plugin_enabled 1
meshtastic --set range_test_plugin_save 1

I flashed my device again and turned the plugin on and enabled saving and I am still not seeing a .csv file.

1 Like

It’s generally necessary to set the sender on a separate device as the device that saves the data.

With those settings, on your other device, send a message over the mesh and that should be saved.

It would be possible to have both sides send and save, but then you’ll need those same settings on two devices.

@garth Could you share a screen shot of your browser pointed to /static on the device?

1 Like

edit: never mind,

If enabled, we will save a log of all received messages to /static/rangetest.csv which you can access from the webserver. We will abort writing if there is less than 50k of space on the filesystem to prevent filling up the storage.

I think I am having the same issue as @garth not finding the csv file on the receiving device.

• two devices, both using firmware 1.1.48 (long slow)
  • sender settings for the plugin from the python API --info
range_test_plugin_enabled: true
range_test_plugin_sender: 60
range_test_plugin_save: true
  • sender has gps connection
  • receiver settings for the plugin from the python API --info
range_test_plugin_enabled: true
range_test_plugin_save: true

What’s going on there is the filesystem partition of your device was not properly set.

The range test plugin aborts writing the file system if there’s less than 50k bytes free. That’s to make sure that we don’t fill up the storage which is also used by other critical functions.

We just started a wiki on how to fix the issue of your device wrongly partitioned. Check this out and please edit the wiki if you find something works, works better or doesn’t work at all.

1 Like

Here is mine

Is that on the sender or the receiver?

It is from the sender

the sender won’t have any packets to save unless something else is sending packets to it.

take a look at your receiver.

Thanks @mc-hamster,

I was able to fix the partition and now there should be enough free space on the receiver - but still no csv showing up:

with the following settings:

and the text messages being received

Few questions…

Are you using the firmware from the nightly build server?
Is that screenshot from the sender or receiver?
What steps from the wiki did you follow?

firmware-tbeam-EU433-1.1.48.bin from 02/14 on both devices, the screenshot is from the receiver. fixing the partition by “install script that is included in the meshtastic firmware zip” worked right away :slight_smile:

I couldn’t get the plugin done in time for the firmware build on the 14th, this was done on the 18th. Check out the pre-pre alpha nightly build server.

3 Likes

aaaaah now it works! thanks very much! :smiley:

2 Likes

Same here, Android phone exploding with notifications :laughing:

1 Like

Right on @Arne & @garth !!

Please share your experience and results.

Thanks!

Thanks for you help @mc-hamster I took a walk to a nearby park and everything plots to where I went.

These are the settings I used.

# Sender 
meshtastic --set range_test_plugin_sender 60

# Receiver

I’ll include that in the documentation so it’ll be easier for other people.

Here’s the draft: