New LilyGO® T-Beam Supreme product

Quick question… If your intended application is SoftRF, wouldn’t it suit you better to seeks assistance from their community? You can see our community is willing to help but it just might make more sense to ask these questions of SoftRF if you’re planning to use that versus Meshtastic. The two projects are not the same, just use similar hardware, so what works for one isn’t necessarily going to work for the other.

Also, you understand that the T-Beam Supreme was collaboration between LILYGo and SoftRF, right? Meshtastic played no role in its development, it’s just one of our supported devices (because LILYGo added support). Some of these question would probably need to be referred to them.

1 Like

“When I walked inside, with a solid fix, I lost the fix almost immediately. The GPS performance is unacceptable and unusable.”

this is most likely an antenna issue. You need to get an active and larger GPS antenna for a better test. When you say “inside”, what do you mean exactly? do you live in an apartment? house? metal roof? near sky scrapers? I notice i get better GPS signal on my devices on the top floor of my house than the bottom floor.

Also load Meshtastic software to see if the issue is something to do with softRF or hardware related.

You also cant compare the GPS fix time and reliability to say a cell phone (or computer connected GPS) which uses augmented GPS and direct almanac download from the internet, WiFi location, and cell tower location.

I do have to wonder why they are shipping this with an inadequate GPS antenna. It’s clear the antenna is needed for most uses – so why is it acceptable to have a non-functioning antenna. Again, I have a USB GPS mouse that cost $10 that cold starts in 50 seconds and then warm starts within seconds, and as far as I know it doesn’t have a battery or “keep-alive” memory.

Because they are being cheaper and probably assumed most people would be using the board outside. Most companies go for a MVP (minimum viable product) to save BOM costs. The included antenna seems not ideal for indoor use but does seem to work outside.

@Crichton I actually did sign up for the SoftRF forum and tried to sign up at Lilygo, but they never sent me a validation email.

I found this forum first, because I googled, “TBeam Supreme” and this was Google’s first response. I am presuming that the T-Beam Supreme portion is the same between Meshtastic and SoftRF, but, obviously I don’t know that. I’m attributing this to a hardware issue, not software. I wouldn’t think software would affect how quickly it gets an initial fix. But I really do appreciate people’s willingness to help out when they can.

@b8b8 I live in a one floor (with attic) wooden house. Roof is asphalt shingles. I live in a rural area, there are trees around, but definitely no skyscrapers and I’m relatively speaking at the top of a hill.

I agree, completely unfair to compare the fix time on the GPS to that of a cellphone because the cellphone uses cell tower assist. I think it is fair to compare this to the GPS mouse that I have. Despite not being powered in at least several months, it achieved a first fix in about 50 seconds. Subsequent fixes were achieved in a couple seconds. Unfortunately, I don’t know what’s inside the “mouse”, it could have some sort of keep-alive memory or it could dump data to a non-volatile memory, I just have no way of knowing. That GPS about 1.3" square or so, so it’s possible it’s a bigger antenna. Again, I just don’t know. I did compare them side by side outdoors, and the GPS mouse outperformed significantly. But maybe it had some stored information that helped it.

I guess what bothers me is that the uBlox M10 claims to cold start in about 30 seconds. I presume cold start means… cold start. No stored information whatsoever. I would expect, that outdoors, this should be able to get first fix in 30 seconds with no battery in it, etc.

I bought the antenna you mentioned (wish the cable were a bit longer). It does seem to do better, it’s hard for me to tell exactly how much because the behavior isn’t consistent. I was able to see a time to first fix over a bit over a minute at one point outdoors. I also loaded the “GNSS Access” firmware which directly transfers the Ublox output (and input) to the USB so that I can talk to it with u-Center. I’ve seen as many as 25 satellites locked in. I think the SoftRF software may be limiting you to a max of 12 reported satellites for some reason, and this may not reflect reality. Overall, I think the GPS mouse is still outperforming this.

The other thing that bothers me (and this may well be lack of recent experience with GPS) but with so many parallel correlators I don’t understand why even after the fix, it seems like it’s so slowly adding additional satellites. The reality of the situation is there should be processing gain that is increasing with the square root of the length of capture. So, 120k C/A codes which is only 2 minutes should give you 25dB of gain. That’s more than the quoted difference beween acquisition and tracking, so I don’t see why it should ever take 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes to acquire a satellite. Of course, it’s quite possible they don’t look at that much data so they never get that much processing gain, and it’s just random whether or not they get low enough noise for a time period to acquire the signal.

Official T-Beam Supreme product description in the LilyGO Store

Hey guys,

Just received my t-beams supreme (my first ones) and trying to flash them with meshtastic.

I have installed the driver, using the correct com port but it fails to install with the browser flasher.

It asks me to restart and or press the boot button (which I did) but it still doesn’t work.

Am I missing something about the flashing procedure ? Is there a specific mode to put the y-beam into ?

Thanks in advance !

You may have to use the install script for your initial flash from softrf.

Thanks
Unfortunately, really don’t succeed in flashing it.

I tried with the CLI flashing on both macOS and windows with all the proper drivers.

On the mac, it’s displayed in the device manager as Prime mk3 device, but chip_id command doesn’t succeed (it detects but fails to connect).
And with the web flasher, it just prepares the installation indefinitely.

On windows, I have installed both drivers but can’t see it in the device manager. Trying with the online flasher but it says i need to restart and/ hold boot button when clicking start. I do that but it doesn’t work.

Am I missing something here ? Device is turned on while I try these operations. Does it needs to be turn on ? Or off ? Is there a specific firmware mode ?

Thanks guys !

CLI flashing process only at present.

Process for flashing:

• Connect via USB to computer
  • Turn the Supreme off by holding the power button until all LED’s are off.
  • Press and hold the boot button
  • Press the power button once for 1 second and release
  • Release the boot button after 4-5 seconds
  • Begin the CLI flash command and the flashing of the firmware will begin.

Man, I love you.

Finally succeeded.

Working on a rugged casing for this beauty with our mechanical engineer.

Will publish the 3D model for free for personal use and we’ll also offer ready cases meeting our quality control!

Thanks guys, awesome community

1 Like

Any update on the case?

For our project, we’re progressing.
We finished the shroud for the board and now moving on with the external features.

Our design is a bit specific in the way that it will use two sma connectors instead of the rp sma connector for Lora and instead of the ceramic antenna

Will keep you updated when we have something good enough.

I’ve made a basic case for the Supreme.
Printed a couple so far, still working out some aesthetic tweaks, but actually workable now.

Any further development on the case? I wanted to try and print it if you don’t mind dropping a link to the print files.

@tomuk5 @Hector04 Any updates on the case? Are you publishing STLs somewhere?

https://www.printables.com/model/565428-lilygo-ttgo-t-beam-supreme-case

2 Likes

I had a problem with my battery frequently reading “LOW BAT” on startup. I decided to remove the battery and put a bench supply across the battery terminals (on the TBeam, not the battery) set at 3.7V. According to the SoftRF Github page it should be approximately 105mA when on, and 30-40uA when off. My actual measurements were about 135mA when on, and 3.8-4.2mA when off, that’s almost 100mAh per day when off – which is a real killer unless the battery is being charged frequently. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I’m assuming this is a hardware issue, but… maybe software?

Would it be a good idea to utilize the magnetometer and IMU to display the direction of other nodes accurately?

If yes, do you think it would be hard to implement this in Meshtastic? I would like to take this up as a pull request if it won’t be a big challenge.

@garth

I know @caveman99 had a plan to use the magnetometer to improve the accuracy of the compass arrows when the user is not moving. GPS would still be required.

After playing around with some button combinations I think we finally got the ESP32 web installer working consistently for the T-Beam Pizza Supreme.

Here is the process we used:

• Open flasher.meshtastic.org in chrome
    select Tbeam S3 Core, firmware, wipe and reinstall
  • Plug the Tbeam Supreme into the computer and wait for it to power on
  • Power off the Tbeam Supreme
  • Press and hold the PWR & BOOT button simultaneously
  • Within the Web installer click connect, select the COM port
  • Click INSTALL TBEAM-S3-CORE
  • I release both buttons when it says Erasing.
  • When it is done power off and power on your Tbeam Supreme and it should display the firmware that was flashed on the splash screen.

Let me know if this works for you guys. :upside_down_face:

Starting from very first commercial batch, the LilyGO T-Beam Supreme comes with pre-loaded Adafruit TinyUF2 bootloader.

To install a new firmware in UF2 format is as easy as a mouse drag and drop -

Converting an ESP32-S3 ‘application’ binary file info UF2 format is as simple as:

uf2conv.py firmware.bin -c -f 0xc47e5767 -b 0 -o firmware.uf2

Read GitHub - microsoft/uf2: UF2 file format specification for more details and this page for more instructions.

1 Like