Meshtasticd on pi zero 2 and 1 watt 915mhz Ebyte lora RF module

Really excited regarding meshtasticd on the pi zero 2! Especially with future development of the BLE!

After watching Jonathan Bennett’s latest video on Meshtastic Native on the Pi, I posted a comment asking if the ebyte 1w lora module(E19-915M30S) OR (sparkfun 1W lora breakout board) is compatible?
He replied by stating that it SHOULD be.

So I am interested in trying this, my goal is to run a 1watt RF module on a Pi. It looks like the Ebyte E19-915M30S is discontinued, so I was wondering if someone could recommend an updated module from Ebyte that they think SHOULD work?

or what requirements should I look for; non UART? SPI interface only? chipset requirements?

I assume once I install mestasticd on my pi zero, I can take a look at the config.yaml and figure out the pin assignments.

The waveshare lora module uses SX1262 , so could the SX1262 option in the link below work?

Thanks!

1 Like

There are some folks who have used the Ebyte E22-900M30S in this and the Hydra DIY targets. This should work, and currently remains in production.

There is also a newer high-power LLCC68 module from Ebyte which is also in production, but I’m not aware of any Meshtastic targets today that support the LLCC68. The E32-900M30S you linked should also, theoretically, be compatible.

SPI-interface only; Meshtastic needs to be able to specify exactly what goes on in a LoRa frame, and Meshtastic does this through RadioLib today, which drives all the known LoRa chips through SPI for such fine-grained control. Supported micro-controllers today include the ESP32; nRF52 series; the RP2040 family; and some native Linux targets (meshtasticd). Theoretically, any RadioLib-supported LoRa chip, with its SPI connection directly exposed to the microcontroller, should be compatible…

A cursory glance through Waveshare’s catalog suggests that the RP2040-based device, the Core1262, the LoRaWAN/GNSS hat, and the RP Pico LoRa hat would be compatible. Most of the other products I saw were UART (i.e. has a small microcontroller running its own firmware to control the LoRa chip / determine framing), though I keep having to edit this post because their product categorization/search page is hot garbage.

Hi @jdstroy great info and it gives me a lot more insight into how it works. thank you!
I am going to work on pico and pi z 2w with the E22-999M30S

1 Like

@jdstroy I am working on the port mapping for a pi zero 2 w and an Ebyte E22-900M30S

Do you know where I can find a pin definitions list or mapping for the config.yaml file?

For example, I don’t understand what E22 pin corresponds to “IRQ:” in the yaml.
Also, DIO3_TCXO_VOLTAGE: true (example in yaml), however, in other varients with the E22-900M30S, this was specified as 1.8

Here is what I have so far.
Thank you!!

#specify module sx1262 for Ebyte E22-900M30S
Module: sx1262

DIO2_AS_RF_SWITCH: true
DIO3_TCXO_VOLTAGE: true

#NSS
CS: 21
#SCK
SCK: 10
#BUSY
Busy: 20
#MOSI
MOSI:10
#MISO
MISO:9
#NRST
Reset: 22

#DI01
IRQ: 20

#RXEN
RXen: 15
#TXEX must connect Txen to DIO2 physically
TXen: RADIOLIB_NC

Check the SX1262 data sheet, section 8.3.2:

DIO1/2/3 are configurable as IRQ pins. That’s E22’s 13 and 8. (The pin definitions for the E22-900M30S can be found in the user manual.) Not sure what the right setting is for DIO3_TCXO_VOLTAGE, sorry. Enclose your text between triple backticks (`) in order to make the pasted .yaml readable:

``` # without the #
<contents of your yaml file>
``` # without the #

You won’t find a pin definition list or mapping for config.yaml because it depends on how you connected your E22-900M30S to your Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W’s header. That’s why the .yaml makes reference to “Broadcom pin numbering”; you need to give it the pin numbers as they are known to the BCM2710A1 SoC. This website may prove helpful to you: https://pinout.xyz/ - use the “GPIO/BCM” numbering for config.yaml.

@jdstroy
I was able to get everything functioning and it appears to work great! THANK YOU!

Here is my yaml pin config if anyone is interested.

#specify module sx1262 for Ebyte E22-900M30S
Module: sx1262

#NSS GPIO8 CE0
CS: 7
#SCK GPIO11
SCK: 11
#BUSY GPIO23
Busy: 23
#MOSI GPIO10
MOSI: 10
#MISO GPIO9
MISO: 9
#NRST GPIO24
Reset: 24
#DI01 GPIO22
IRQ: 22

DIO2_AS_RF_SWITCH: true
DIO3_TCXO_VOLTAGE: true

#The EBYTE module powers its built-in TCXO via DIO3

#RXEN GPIO25
RXen: 25

#TXEX must connect Txen to DIO2 physically
#Set TX power in app to 22

1 Like

Glad I could help. :slight_smile: Feel free to share pictures and/or anything you think might help someone looking to build the same thing.

I would really like to see a wiring diagram for all this. I’ve been considering designing a Hat for the piZero that incorporates the E22-900M30S but I’ve read mixed things about people getting it working properly.

There was some somebody recently who was struggling with it in the GitHub discussion section, if you don’t respond to this post maybe consider helping out over there: Ebyte E22 modules[Board]: · meshtastic/firmware · Discussion #3948 · GitHub