MeshMap MQTT Setting to show node on the map, settings assistance needed pls

I have my node in the loft connect to my router over wifi using SSID and Password Credentials. At the same time it is connected to android phone.

Radio Config
GPS enabled

Module Config
I have enabled MQTT but left address username and pass as the default.
Encryption and JSON o/p is disabled
TLS enabled
Root topic: msh/UA_868
Proxy to client disabled.

I was hopping to see my node appear on the map but no joy MeshMap | Meshtastic Nodes

Ive also ticked ‘Provide Phone Location to Mesh’
Not sure where to start

Hi There,

I am using this setting works nicely and showing on the meshmap.net

MQTT -username/pass Default
Encryption - ON
JSON - OFF
TLS - OFF
Root topic - msh or msh/EU_868

However for testing root topic to msh/UK or UK
just want to see IF i can reduce only for UK traffic.

Good Luck.

Thank you for the reply, still no luck .
What needs to happen for the node to appear on the map?
Maybe im missing something fundamental like for example, I need to port through my router, or the node needs to be outside to then be received by an independent node!
As I dont know how this works its difficult to diagnose.

Hey @cirrus20 !

I have just been dealing with the same this morning. I am in NZ and I don’t think we have alot of nodes here at all for relaying (I am also relatively “rural”)

For me to get a node on the map - I seemed to need to enable “Proxy to client” - which makes sense as the node was not hooked into the house wifi.

I would also add that updates seem to be every 15mins ish - and a GPS lock appears to be required.

My understanding is that for a node to appear on the map (or anywhere for that matter) it ultimately needs to get to an internet connection either relaying via other nodes (within the max hop limit) - or via a local net connection (relayed by a phone with a net conx or by connection to an internet connected wifi network)

Either way - this is my experience this morning - but it would be good to have someone who actually knows what they are talking about confirm how this works/is supposed to work :smile:

Thanks for the suggestion but this did not work for me.
I log into the node over wifi.
Once I enabled proxy to client I lost connectivity, so had to retrieve the node from the loft and use serial connection to android phone to reconfigure.
This link ive followed but still no luck

Hi

What HW module you are using ? Normally if you using Android apps and ticked the - Provide phone Location to Mesh should work.

Hi
Im using PI-Pico W Waveshare Pico-Lora-SX1262-868M

It is not top-secret. You can find it here:

Did you enabled Uplink on your channel ?

2 Likes

Did you enabled Uplink on your channel ?

This is the one I always trip over. It’s a completely unrelated seeming setting in a totally different location and it’s off by default. My money is on uplink not being enabled.

Radio Configuration → Channels → Click on a channel, then enable uplink:

1 Like

try to enabled twelve Uplink and Downlink

1 Like

Re Uplink & Downlink, I did try this the other day without any joy.
I did notice loads of nodes appear.

Ive enabled Up/Dwn again and as a result im connected to 95 of 128 online.
My Duty Cycle limit was instantly reached with msg ’ cannot send messages right now, please try again later’
Which is why I disabled Up/Dwn previously!

So just to clarify my setup ive got my node with wifi enabled & USB connected to my phone, both on the same internal network at home.

Proxy to client is also enabled.
I still do not appear on this map https://meshmap.net
but I do appear on the map that is within the meshtastic android app.
Ahh its suddenly appeared on meshmap.net
Great thank you for sticking with me.
So its either been the Up/Dwn and or the Proxy Client

2 Likes

If you don’t want to hit the duty cycle, only enable uplink and not downlink.
Proxy to client should only be on if you’re not using the WiFi of the device but rather the internet connection of the connected phone.

1 Like

Thanks for that info GUVWAF
Will try it

Where can I find an explanation of how to configure my python code to get all the traffic on the MQTT server.
ie configure the root_topic
There must be a list or something to explain.
Some code I was given on here has this root_topic = “msh/ANZ/2/c/” but what does it mean.
Thanks

A good place to start is the MQTT Topic documentation.

All the traffic on a MQTT server is agnostic, just subscribe to the wildcard #. I guess technically that excludes $ topics, but it’s unlikely those are relevant for your use. It’s a lot of data, which potentially also means a bit of a burden on the server. Its in everyone’s interest if you’re able to narrow it down any, though that’s not always possible.

Parsing the topic you were given:

• msh/ is the legacy default root topic
  • msh/\<region code\> is the new default root topic, so “ANZ” = “Australia / New Zealand” (whoever provided you the code presumably has their radio frequency configured for that region)
  • /2/ I don’t know the history of but is also part of how Meshtastic is set up by default. Pure speculation, a way to change something without backwards compatibility? :person_shrugging:
  • /c/ refers to the channel conventionally used for raw Protobuf packets (vs. e.g. text or JSON)

So /msh/ANZ/2/c would provide all MQTT messages from users with default MQTT settings and configured to Australia / New Zealand in the protobuf format.

1 Like

I have my Heltec on my WifI and everything seems dandy, but do I still need it to have an antenna even though it’s connected to my wifi?