Issues using WisBlock - Hunting in Idahos Backcountry

First, here’s the situation.

I have a remote node set to Router Mode on a tower at 5,800ft in N Idaho. I have 6 hunters that each carry a node in the nearby area while hunting elk. We have marginal or no cell coverage in our 125 sq mile area. We have a mix of Android and iPhones in use. Msgs bouncing off the nodes and router are working surprisingly well depicting msgs and position reports with somewhat reasonable reliability. Some msgs are lost and some position reports have froze. I have radios set to update positions every 100 yds.

Here are some issues we are experiencing:

1 - having the satellite map is outstanding for hunting and tracking purposes, but many times we are not getting the satellite map definition and detail we need (marginal or no cell coverage?) Is there a way to download detailed satellite map files for our op area into our phones and have our Mesh App use those detailed maps instead? This would be a huge improvement!

2 - we’re using “exchange positions” frequently to keep track of each other and to confirm positions. Could there be a confirmation that would indicate that the polling was successful (or unsuccessful) and positions have been updated when using the EP function? Or am I missing something?

3 - is there a way to set waypoints on the map that will stay permanently even if radios or the app is shut down? Currently we loose important waypoints even when we try to lock them in.

Those are our more challenging issues for now. There may be more as this thread and our hunt continues. BTW - I will be adding another Router on an adjacent ridge (about 8 mi away) to improve our mesh coverage. Think of this as a Mesh experiment in a 125 sq mi bubble. Thanks for your feedback and help.

4 Likes

Very nice, appreciate the detailed feedback!

I am working on a notification on iOS that will take you to the mesh map for the node that sent you their position.

I don’t quite understand the waypoint request / issue.

Thanks Garth. That be very helpful if I select Exchange Position for a particular node and - upon getting a reply - it’d jump to the map with the replying node centered. Actually it’d save the requester a few steps and confirm the position update. I would also suggest that nothing happens on the replying node end. No need to change their map view or anything.

As for setting waypoints, after placing one, they do not remain on the map for long. It seems that after a certain amount of time, they disappear on their own. I’m still playing with them but they seem to have a squirrelly behavior.

1- Would be nice to have the ability to “hide” and “show” waypoints to declutter the map.

2 - allow the user to place their own waypoints in without having to “send” them to everyone. This would be a useful tool to the individual. Also the ability to “send” them at a later time.

I hope there’s a cure for the map detail issue. That’s our big problem at the moment

You might take a look at integrating ATAK with Meshtastic. Several videos on this on the ‘Tube. It’s not straightforward but can be done based on what others have said.

ATAK has the ability to use offline maps, including downloaded satellite images. They also have some of the the other asks that are still in development on Meshtastic such as local waypoints.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, ATAK only works on Androids? I haven’t found a link to download onto IOS Apple devices - which is what we are using. If this is true, none of the YouTube vids mention this up front.

That would kinda be a big deal? Anyway, I’m all ears if ATAK is a possibility for Apple.

Also would like to hear from developers if downloading detailed satellite maps for your op area is a possibility. Not sure where that info comes from presently. I speculate it’s received from cell data via the internet. That’s not an option if the grids down - just saying.

ATAK indeed only works on Android phones, the first A stands for Android… there is ITAK, for IOS, but there is no Meshtastic plugin for that, and ITAK does not have the same feature set, it is good if you have a good network connection and you are using a TAK server, but for offgrid its pretty much worthless.

I am still trying to get ATAK to work reliably with meshtastic for anything beyond location updates, and once I do it will be a game changer. I purchased an extra phone as a primary ATAK device (has no sim) and can pre-download maps over wifi for the expected areas of operation.

Thanks Richie. As I suspected. Info out there is fragmented and I’m piecing it together.

BTW - I built another Router yesterday and deployed it. Here, I placed the antenna, WisBlock board, and batteries in a 2” PVC pipe. Drilled a hole in the side to run in the solar power to the board. I cut a pool noodle piece to (press fit) secure the antenna inside. Antenna at the top, guts below, access at the bottom. To make assembly easier, I used about a 8” antenna pigtail inside. You can make it as long as you need for longer antennas. Very stout and wx proof.

I cut a 4’ length of fence post and drove it 3’ into the ground and inserted and pinned a 10’ fence rail into it. When pounding in the post, use an adapter as to not mushroom the lip. Or bring a saw to cut off the damaged end as the fence rail must slip inside. All items except solar panel mount I picked up at Home Depot. Sprayed it down in OD green.

This gives me cross coverage of +300 sq mi hunting area.

Maybe this will give others another build idea. I suppose I could have attached the solar mount to the PVC with a hose clamp and made it one piece. Either way - it’s up and working. Now on with the hunt…

BTW - here’s my main router at 5,800ft. Confirmed 140 mi range. I’ll use the PVC build next year on this one too. For now, it’s been working beautifully all summer.

1 Like