Pipe tree node for garden

It was so draining to make a solar node because when the battery drained due to lack of sun it was hard to make a design that makes it start again when the sun shines. Many hours went down the drain. So my next outdoor node is down a drain (pipe) and has the mother of all batteries instead of using nuclear fusion. It is perhaps my pipe dream. I will be gutt(er)ed if it fails.

Mark 1:

Perhaps I should make a u-bend-tube video when it it is finalised.

Not punny.

Build parts so far:
Node Muzi Works H2T T114 ( H2T - Complete Device: Heltec T114 with GPS running Meshtastic® – muzi ᴡᴏʀᴋꜱ )
Battery Anker 737 Power Bank Power Core 24k (24000 mAh) (https://amzn.eu/d/aD04wXc)
Cable: 2 x 3 m USB C e.g. (https://amzn.eu/d/8JyPxqv)
USB C female - female adaptor: https://amzn.eu/d/jf173yl
70 mm drain pipe parts and 50 mm drain pipe parts: see image

One tree
Cable ties (very large) and / or bungee cords
Tools (maybe): Ladder, teenager

The background: The Muzi Works H2T only had a stable bluetooth connection if plugged into a USB connection (this is a fault in the device, see here Reddit - Dive into anything and links in the comments). But its bluetooth range is rather fabulous in my view. So I thought I might put it up my garden tree… and see if I can use it as my one, and only one, house node.

(But I may now try to boost the bluetooth range some more, using a better bluetooth antenna, in view of this comment Bluetooth going to 'sleep" and not reconnecting - #15 by iggy
which may mean using a different node that gives me access to the antenna connector.)

Written permission from the squirrels might be hard to get.

Worry: the power bank above does have trickle charge mode (if you toggle the mode by pressing the power button twice so a green spot shows

) but I do not yet know if trickle charge will keep bluetooth problem at bay and the mode only lasts two hours apparently. My estimate is 50 day run time if the Gremlins are on my side and the battery does not switch off of its own accord… but then time will tell.

Should be as easy as falling of a …

While waiting for an extra cable to arrive I made Mark 2:

(This part has an insert to keep node away from joint in case of water coming in

)

for this Mark 2 (a shorter version), as my radio consultant friend said, the tree does the work and no need to tie or strap anything…

Mark 3

Longer tube.

Stability is iffy.
20% capacity drop in two days… ho hum…

Node not fully charged and dropping %
Lots of USB C cable risks pulling cable out of base of node. Heat shrink over joins would be good.
Muzi Works asked me to test the node out of its case… ur… mañana

Mark 4
The node was losing juice. The Anker battery reports 0.1 W even when the node is not charging. When the node is charging the Anker battery display reports 1.9 W as show below.

I had to make sure that the USB C connection were not loosened by the weight of the cables in the pipe, otherwise it might be that the node was not actually connected to the battery. The first thing was to make a strain relief using the insert by just wrapping cable around it as shown below:

The other thing I did was to put heat-shrink tubing on the USB C joints in the hope that that provides the necessary support.

Contrary to my usual practice I did not use gaffer tape for this… because it leaves such a horrible residue and I want to be able to use the cables for other things if this node does not have any advantages.

The nice bit might not work
I thought the bluetooth reception in the house from the node in the tree would be good. It is not. Not sure why. Whether the pipe being wet on the outside has anything to do with it, or a random node orientation issue, not sure. Anyway, this solution is not perfect … yet. The nice thing is that because the node has a fault in which bluetooth connection drops if not charging from USB, my poor bluetooth connection was a useful diagnostic, along with the battery indicator falling, that there was a USB cable loose. The USB connector into the node is not a super strong fit.

The setup is actually like this:

with the attic antennae being described here Using multiple antennae and nodes in the same location

With this setup I get node info updates in my node list and traceroutes from my smartphone’s Meshtastic app without having to approach the attic nodes in the house. It saves having to carry around a node with my smartphone in the house to keep contact with the attic nodes. If my smartphone had an integrated node then none of this would be needed and could use that directly when in the house to connect to the long-range nodes in the attic (dream on Meshphone perhaps Pinephone Linux phone with LoRa?).

I was able to communicate with someone 92 km away from my sofa using this node. Once via a node SĂśD in town, and once via the node Bing in my attic. In any case the direct messages even received confirmation. This sets a record for me.

and this was repeatable the same evening.

Got some crazy traceroutes.
Reached the node H2T in the tree :evergreen_tree: directly from the middle of town at point A completely surrounded by high buildings … with confirmed ticks in direct messages… then got a bonkers trace route to a node B in the attic and back into town to a point C and then back to the node in the tree…

I was taken aback by being able to get a direct traceroute and direct message with tick to the pipe node from the middle of town to the tree pipe node as shown in the map below:

The sending location was the car node (Car node with external antenna) in a narrow street and surrounded by 4 storey buildings on both sides.

Other pipe nodes:

Looks nice.

KInda reminds me of this GitHub - IRNAS/ttn-irnas-gw: LoraWAN gateway with RAK831/iC880A and Raspberry Pi Zero W for TheThingsNetwork
… they made their own colinear antenna for their build.

Maybe something to consider or Mark 3 :slight_smile:

(if dont want to stick a commercial co-linear on top!)

Golly. So similar. Nice build. The incredible thing is how cheap tubing is compared to a box and other bits and bobs. Wind is a real problem for wide pipes though I think. Hence the tree cheat. My build depends on the bluetooth power of the node really. I can put in a better node and antenna … but for now I am just relieved to at least be able to use the nice H2T somehow… will perhaps revert to T-echo as carry-around or scavenge parts off this build Boxed solar node - glorified Bluetooth link to main nodes ... and beats the main node sometimes : solar panel choice was perhaps iffy which has proven not to be solar chargeable, and down size it to make a portable RAK.

please consider:
that HT-Rohr /HT -Tube is not really waterproof !
the seal-rings are built to keep water inside, but wont 100% keep water out and wont keep inside dry.
so, depending on construction and orientation of your build, you can end up with some water inside specially in …winter…

1 Like

I spent hours in the DIY store trying to have no joint with a lip facing upwards… but there are two such locations. So indeed - it will get wet inside. What cannot be seen in the build description is how very far the pipes fit into each other, and this acts as a protection for those locations because, inside, the pipe passes past the join and water would have to work its way back up the pipe to reach the node sat at the narrowing point which is propped up by a loose insert to be a good way away from the joint propper. Shown below:

So I think the usb cable will get damp… hopefully not at any join… I was thinking of using PTFE plumber’s tape at all the joints where possible but for now cross my fingers. Cheers!

sorry fuer den scherz, but reminds me somehow of this:

but if you dont expect it to be waterproof, and the water can flow out at the bottom :slight_smile: … why not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here you can see the node you were chatting with.

1 Like