Issue trying to use "Range test"

Hello,

I tried without success to use the “Range test” function , enabling it in the radio configuration.
The receiver was fixed.
The sender was the one I took around (and on which I enabled the “Range test” function).

When I look at the content of the export.csv file, it seems to have sent some “Seqxxx” messages (xxx automatically incremented) but it goes from Seq3 to Seq83, without any intermediate messages. That is the first issue.

The second issue is that I do not see these messages in the android meshtastic app, in the public channel (the only configured channel on my devices)

Third issue, when I import the csv file on google/mymap, it displays the “Seqxxx markers” but they are all located at the fixed receiver position/location. Even if I select sender lat/long in the import steps, it still displays the markers, all at the same position of the fixed receiver on the map.

I do not understand how to use this range test function or is it completely bugged ?

Attached my csv file for anyone who could help diagnose what I do wrong ? or what is wrong with this range test function ?

And here is the resulting mymap : all marker stacked on top of each other at same place instead of showing the position of the sender module…

1 Like

you need to enable the Range Test module in both Sender and Receiver nodes.

it’s easier to have the Sender node fixed and the Receiver node with you (mobile), this way if you receive the “seq #” message you know you are in range (and skipping seq numbers means you are not).

check the map if your nodes positions are updating correctly. your Receiver (mobile) node’s marker should represent your movement accurately.

from your .csv file doesn’t look like it.

I do not understand how you set which is the sender and which is the receiver if both range testing parameters are “on” on both devices?

Sender is the node that sends the “seq #” messages, just enable and set a value in Range Test > “Sender message interval” (30-60s works well).

and thus on the receiver I have to enable it also but with a message interval of zero? (Since you say to enable it on both receiver and sender)
Sorry, it is not clear at all in the mesh doc

All you have to do on the receiver is enable it, it is opt in now so it does not annoy other nearby users

I’ll try and report back if this solves the issues. thanks for helping

I finally made it to work. Here below the step by step procedure to make it work as the documentation is flaky to say the least and/or not up to date with how it works:

1-you need obviously at least to devices to make an automated range test. Contrarily to what the doc says, it does not matter if your device has not an ESP32 chip (suposedly required to save the csv file that will contain the recorded positions). I tried with a RAK 19007/4631 which is not an ESP32 chip and it works just fine.

2-On both devices sender and receiver (not mentioned anywhere in the documentation) you need to enable range testing in the radio configuration menu. In this range testing sub-menu, you will find three parameters : enable/disable toggle, automated messages frequency (in seconds) - that is how often will the sender send sequential predefined fixed messages with “Seq” as prefix + an incremented number as suffix (example : “Seq1”, “Seq2”, etc)

3-On the sender device (you choose which of the two is the one that will send the automated “Seq#” messages, it does not matter which is the sender, which is the receiver. I tried succesfully using one of the two devices which is fixed as the sender. and I used the second device as the receiver which I moved around. The receiver will receive the “Seq #” messages in the meshtastic app / in the default Long-Fast channel), configure a number of seconds > 0 (for example send a Seq " message every 30 seconds). On the sender leave the last “save to file” parameter to off.

4-On the receiver device, also set the range testing parameter to “on”. But leave the frequency parameter at zero (that is what defines that it is the receiver. Any value above zero will make it a sender for every number of seconds configured in this param). Also leave the save to file disabled.

5-On the receiver (the mobile unit in this procedure), go the the radio confguration menu / Position sub-menu and then modify two GPS parameters as follows (to have the GPS location updated frequently during the range test) : “Position broadcast interval” (reduce the default 900 seconds to for example 15 seconds), and second parameter to change “GPS Update interval” (reduce the default 120 seconds to for example 15 seconds)

6-On the receiver, go to your meshtastic app and in the message channel (default is the public Long-Fast channel) and verify that you receive a “Seq#” message every interval of seconds you configured in the range test / “sender message interval” parameter.

7-Once done with your test, disable both range test on the receiver and sender and configure the two “Position” menu parameters to thei rdefault values (900, 120)

8-On the meshtastic app connected to the receiver device, click on the three dots in top right corner and select “Export rangetest.csv” . This will propose you to save the csv file in your smartphone’s download folder

9-Transfer this rangetest.csv file to your computer. Search on google for “google mymap” and follow import instructions from this google mymap to import the waypoints of the receiver device that your range test produced. You have to select the rx long and rx lat as the waypoint GPS coordinates to be displayed on the “my map” map screen (obviously the sender long ans sender lat correspond to the sender device which remains in a fixed position where you’ve set it to begin with).

Hope this helps others as it took me a few hair to gather this information (and understanding that all youtube tutorials of others who did it are not right anymore since the procedure has chnaged with the latest version recently : previously the receiver did not have to enable the range test : everyone on the public channel could receive the Seq# messages. In the latest verion(s), it is an opt-in model where the receivers will not receive the Seq messages if the range test parameters is not enabled. Even if it is a public channel)

1 Like

The csv in the android app is generated from the node history and is not the same as the file generated on an esp32.

1 Like

Just to be sure I understand, is the node history stored on the smartphone (built while it is connected to the node) ?

Thanks so much for this. Been driving me crazy for days as sometimes it was working, sometimes it wasn’t, and there was no obvious reason/option I’d changed!

1 Like

I’m on iOS (a Macbook and an iPhone) and the rangetest.csv is only generated on a device with a webserver. So I assume this means it has to be running on HTTP. So I have my attic-based sender connected to WIFI, while my receiver is on my iPhone via blutooth.

Thanks so much for this thread, it’s really saved my sanity!

1 Like

Thanks! This fixed the issue. Much appreciated

Also: if you do a range test on channel zero, and others are on channel zero, will they see your range test info? If so, how to prevent?

I think you have to subscribe to the range test to see the test messages. So if someone is on the same channel but did not activate the range test option, then he will not see the test messages snt by others

1 Like

Has anyone got an Apple approach that works?
Great explanation and it advanced my Range Testing progress 95% toward success. BUT I’m an iOS user. So there are some app interface differences, in particular, once the testing is done iOS does not have the ‘three dots’ menu in the top rhs like android does. So thats where I get stuck.
Thanks