Heltec WiFi Disconnect on API Query

I’ve got an older TTGO Heltec running 1.1.6. (I’ve tried other releases and the behavior is the same)

I boot up connected to serial, setup wifi via the python api, which worked upon reboot, I can see the IP address and I can port connect to 4403. However, when I send API query the device disconnects from the WiFi and remains disconnected until reset. If I disconnect the device from USB/Serial and run it from a battery the behavior is the same.

Serial API requests work fine.

Appreciate any help.

Espressif introduced a bug around powering on the radio from being turned off in the esp32 sdk in October 2019 and still has not fixed it.

The work around we put in for now is to never turn off the radio when it has external power.

Sorry about that. I’ll make note of this in the documentation and see if I can fix this in the espressif sdk.

Thanks @mc-hamster - the problem I’m having is that the radio is turning off I think but only after I send an API request over WiFi. If I leave it alone I can keep pinging the IP address, but as soon as I send a request it disconnects from the WiFi.

I’m guessing based on your advice there that there is something broken and the radio is powering down for some reason when we send a request.

thanks for all your efforts! I’m new to Meshtastic, but the effort from the community on this project is epic!

Hmm … thanks for clarifying, @geeksville should look at that case. I actually have not used the 4403 TCP api. I thought it was a classic case of the radio bug. :slight_smile:

No problem. I’ll put this on my list for tomorrow and take a look.