Heltec Capsule Sensor V3

Has anyone else ordered or received the new Heltec Capsule Sensor V3 boards? I just pre-ordered 2 of them. I’m also wondering if there will be a specific firmware release for these or they will just use the same Heltec V3 firmware?

I also found on their site they have a promo code to order them, saved me about $5: 4CVQ6KAC

They are up for pre-order and will be shipped on March 8th.

1 Like

We have limited information on this device. They mention it supports Meshtastic but that it isn’t suitable for Meshtastic but also ships with Meshtastic pre-flashed. One of the developers has ordered a couple of the devices so we’ll know more when those are received. There’s a couple of YouTubers that have received them though and show them running Meshtastic.

250mAh battery… for an esp32 board (with GPS) that gives maybe 2 hours of runtime :no_good_man:

1 Like

if you use it as a gps tracker, what it was built for:
role “tracker” hopefully it might sleep most of the time using very little energy and battery will be good for some days.

not sure if that will work as in rak modules, but i ordered one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve ordered a pair to put on my kids while we hike. The ESP32 board surprised me in this use case, but we’ll see how it goes!

I also swore I wouldn’t buy another device that didn’t have a USB-C charger, but made an exception for the IPX claim.

Anybody received and tested out the battery runtime? They mention if set to send every hour it’ll run for 6 months! If the send can be set then this has the potential to run a decent time (on a dog/person/child).

Hey folks just a friendly warning!

(I originally posted this to the Heltec community but im getting antsy and desperate for a solution lol)

I just received my CapSule Sensor v3 and I’m already running into issues, it isn’t able to detect or use the internal gps, and after changing settings through the Meshtastic app, it’s boot looping.

1: I’ve set it up the device in the Meshtastic app. When I attemped to change the position settings, no matter what I did the gps mode defaults to disabled. I’ve changed it multiple times to ENABLED and after it reboots it’s always DISABLED.

2: After changing the device settings to rebroadcast KNOWN_ONLY, it boot loops when attempting to change any settings at all. Nothing I’ve done fixes this issue. I’ve used Wireless Boot to erase and reinstall the firmware multiple times. It still boot loops when attempting to interact with it through the Meshtastic app, and I can’t enable Wi-Fi through the settings to change it back through the web client. Unfortunately It’s stuck.

Lucky I’ve purchased 2 (one for myself and my wife) and for now the second works, but I’m not going to change any settings on it until I know what causes boot looping, and why the gps isn’t functioning.

Hopefully and update to Meshtastic or the CapSule firmware will fix the broken one.

thank you for the warning,
i will handle my one “with care”, when it arrives…

have you tried changing the settings for “Redefine gps pin rx/tx” ?