Hardware for an animal tracker / dog collar

Hi

I wanted to gather some community wisdom on the options for making a dog collar tracker node.

Requirements:

• small (could be arranged in a collar)
  • 3-6hr battery life
  • GPS
  • no screen
  • no buttons.

Thanks !

i am having similar use-cases:
until now i had self build rak4631 and gps module on 19003 mini baseboard, together with battery in very small housing 35x35x12mm thats functional as tracker role, just waking up every (defined in menu) 2 minutes, getting position and sending position and going to sleep again… runtime in this mode 1-2 weeks…

BUT:
just freshly released hardware by heltec was the Heltec Capsule Sensor V3 – Heltec Automation
not yet fully supported by meshtastic, but already running meshtastic firmware in some demos… this is what i was looking for. … hopefully it will have long runtime in meshtastic tracker role…

so wait a bit, and you can get this.
waterproof !!!

i ordered one, but not yet recevied it :wink:

1 Like

Two interesting options. Thank you for sharing.
If you have some pictures of the rak version I’d be keen to see those.

I think long and thin might be easier than a capsule.

i would say the heltec will be the better solution ! cheaper, waterproof, smaller? much less weight… as long as its functional and will give some battery runtime, it will be much better option…

here, the rak version, compared to a t-echo. not much to see, aluminium housing and external , small antenna.

rak19003 baseboard with 4631 and some rak gps module and 800mAh lipo sqeezed into aluminium tubing and fully flooded with epoxy resin to make shockproof :slight_smile: … not waterproof, since USB-C port is still there …

1 Like