Good afternoon from Finland (and mapforge - android developers requested!)

Hi all,

I just recently ran across Meshtastic when looking into disaster radio, LORA, etc. When i discovered the ATAK plugin, I was pretty much sold. Plus I “know” @geeksville from old times when I was active at diydrones and the Ardupilot project, so I know he’s a whizbang coder. So, sold. Next step, spend my tax return on a bunch of LORA modules from Aliexpress, set up a few solar powered nodes around the area and be prepared for the next winter in the middle of the Finnish nowhere with its power outages and stuff.

BTW: Kevin: about the Mapbox controversy… Why not use mapsforge…? LGPL, plenty maps available freely online and for OFFLINE use, so really in the off-grid spirit of an independent LORA comms mesh.
Project: GitHub - mapsforge/mapsforge: Vector map library and writer - running on Android and Desktop.
Maps: http://download.mapsforge.org/

So much for now,
Stefan

2 Likes

Hi Stefan (again)! I’m glad you liked my drone futzing!

re: mapforge

oh yes, I think that would be great. I mostly used mapbox (I also used it back in the day for droneshare and andropilot) because it was super well documented and quick to just drop in. A more open source solution would be preferable - alas, my personal queue has lots of things in front of that so it is mostly just waiting for someone else to send in a PR. It is just a matter of not enough programmer cycles :wink:

If anyone wants to give this a shot it might be a great intro in “how to develop for android”. You’d essentially:

• Copy MapView into a new MapforgeView class - and change the innards to use mapforge
  • Leave both the old MapView and the new MapforgeView classes in the app (so initially during testing users could use either ‘tab’)
  • Once it seems like mapforge is solid (based on reports from alpha testers here), delete the old MapVew class.
1 Like