Feature Request: Implement Wireguard

Hey All,

I would love to see wireguard implemented into the meshtastic project. This would allow me remote IP access to radios that I have deployed where internet access is available.

I’m still wrapping my mind around how to add plugins to the project, so it may be possible to deploy this as a plugin, but I’m not up to speed yet. Let me know if this is interesting to anyone else.

-T

I agree this would be really cool. For now, you can use the mqtt functionality which you could arrange to do something like this, by bridging the remote mesh via mqtt with a local node, then using the remote admin functionality of the python cli to access it.

Wireguard wouldn’t be a plugin the way meshtastic considers it I don’t think. It would have to be integrated into the wifi connection code

seems it can run independently of wifi… or better said after wifi is init()

Main issue is going to be the size of the library, looks like it is about 210kb, which is kind of a lot for a single somewhat edge case feature when we are already space constrained on ESP32.

that’s a good point. I was able to wedge it into the wifi init function, but theres not much free flash left.

Did you have it working on your own device?

I do have it working. Just a Proof of concept, no integration with configs or anything all just hardcoded.

Ok that’s really cool. I might do the same for a project I have on the list, so I don’t have to expose my mqtt to the internet