Hardening Security

I wished to open a conversation about increasing the security of the overall deployment of Meshtastic systems with some feature requests. These requests are based on an understanding of how professional grade systems would work in this realm.

-Support app authentication tied to the OS of the device. Think Apple Face ID on open etc.

-Create the ability to lock the devices to each other. So you cannot join the device bluetooth with another device without the key/channel data, messages, nodes self destructing.

-Non-exportable Key/Channel. If a flag is set in the Key data string, the device won’t give it out with a Python query for example. So you setup the channel and have 20 seconds in the app to take a screen shot before the channel data becomes blank.

-Geo-self-destruct. For nodes that are fixed routers if they are moved more than 100m the data is gone. Similarly if they lose power they don’t keep sensitive key data.

I’d add to this the ability to change device # and mac addresses. I wonder what else is leaking on the radio waves.

1 Like

The MACs are from the device like an ethernet card

Right. And I’d like to obfuscate them just like we do with wifi adaptor MACs on any modern phone.