Can't connect to a new working board

I have a new AliExpress “LILYGO TTGO T-Beam V1.1 SX1262 LORA 868/915MHZ ESP32 WiFi Wireless Bluetooth Module GPS NEO-M8N IPEX 18650 Battery Holder” with USB to a Windows 10 PC, and Device Manager shows Ports (COM & LPT) “USB-Enhanced-SERIAL CH9102 (COM6)”. At the Command Prompt “py -V” shows Python 3.9.10 and “meshtastic --version” shows 1.2.76. Then “meshtastic --port COM6 --info” pauses, gives a stack backtrace, and ends with “Exception: Timed out waiting for connection completion”.

The radio is providing WiFi network SoftRF-8be718 that I can connect to with my Android phone using password 12345678. Using my phone’s Connections, Bluetooth, Scan I haven’t been able to any evidence of of the radio providing a Bluetooth signal to pair with. The Meshtastic v1.2.50 Android app on my phone says “You must set a region” and shows no available Meshtastic device.

What should I try next?

may sound silly but try different USB cables first.

if that doesn’t work please paste the result of meshtastic --support & meshtastic --info

may sound silly but try different USB cables first.

Another cable behaves the same. Device Manager shows no COM6 device when the radio is disconnected and “USB-Enhanced-SERIAL CH9102 (COM6)” when it is attached.

if that doesn’t work please paste the result of meshtastic --support & meshtastic --info

meshtastic --support
If having issues with meshtastic cli or python library
or wish to make feature requests, visit:
Issues · meshtastic/python · GitHub
When adding an issue, be sure to include the following info:
System: Windows
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0
Release: 10
Machine: AMD64
Encoding (stdin): utf-8
Encoding (stdout): utf-8
meshtastic: v1.2.76
Executable: C:\Python3\Scripts\meshtastic
Python: 3.8.2 CPython MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)

meshtastic --info
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\python3\lib\runpy.py”, line 193, in run_module_as_main
return run_code(code, main_globals, None,
File “c:\python3\lib\runpy.py”, line 86, in run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Python3\Scripts\meshtastic.exe_main
.py", line 7, in
File "c:\python3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_main
.py", line 913, in main
common()
File "c:\python3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_main
.py", line 695, in common
client = meshtastic.serial_interface.SerialInterface(args.port, debugOut=logfile, noProto=args.noproto)
File “c:\python3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\serial_interface.py”, line 55, in init
StreamInterface.init(self, debugOut=debugOut, noProto=noProto, connectNow=connectNow)
File “c:\python3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 48, in init
self.connect()
File “c:\python3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 72, in connect
self._waitConnected()
File “c:\python3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py”, line 401, in _waitConnected
raise Exception(“Timed out waiting for connection completion”)
Exception: Timed out waiting for connection completion

oh, have you flashed them with Meshtastic firmware?

On this page it says " The easiest way is to buy a device with the software already installed that leads to the device I bought. So I thought it was ready to go. When it powers on its display shows “SoftRF 1.0-rc9 EU”, “RADIO +, GNSS +, OLED +, BARO -”, “ID 8BE7F8, PROTOCOL 0, RX 0, TX 0”. Does it still need to have its firmware changed?

yes. this indicates Meshtastic firmware did not come pre-installed.

Thank you! I will continue tomorrow.

I’m having the same issue, @Rick314 did you ever get your boards to work?

I’m having the same issue, @Rick314 did you ever get your boards to work?

Yes I did get my board working, and just looked at my notes dated 11/12/21 to 2/28/22. I haven’t done anything with Meshtastic since then, but if you can get your email address to me I will send you those notes.