BLE Timeout after 5 Seconds

I’m using the iPhone App. I was able to connect to my new T-Beam that had 1.0.0 loaded. Naturally, I didn’t have any of the cool Android features. I was unable to access the web portal of the device, so I figured I would update to 1.2.48. The update seemed to go fine. I was able to set the region via the python settings via the cli (running windows).
Since, with the iPhone app, when I tap on the “available radio”, after a few seconds I receive “BLE Connecting Timeout after making 5 attempts to connect to @Meshtasic_blabla”. Naturally, no deice is connected, yet the radio still shows available.
Since I am “Androidless”, I ordered a Amazon Fire which will be here tomorrow. In the mean time, I’ll solder up another shiny T-Beam that has 1.0.0 on it and give it a try. Thanks!

If you’re using wifi, update to 1.2.50 – it’s more stable for web stuff.

K, I’ll do that next. I just soldered up 2 more, both with 1.0.0. I was able to pair up just fine with the current ver of the iPhone app.

Regarding the Wifi Stuff, is the html packages installed in the image? I read on one of the docs, the web pages needed to be loaded separatly

The device is trying to connect 5 times for 2 seconds each and failing. There are a ton of bugs with the iOS app BLE and the 1.0 firmware version, you may need to update your device firmware (I would recommend 1.45+) and forget your device under settings and connect again. I am working through some BLE bugs so the crash reports help.

Ok, forgetting the device and adding with the 1.2.45 seems to work correctly. I’ll jump to 1.2.50 Alpha for better wifi. I’ll have an android later today for testing as well. Thanks!

Interesting, I updated one unit to 1.2.50 Alpha and when it boots, it displays 1.2.50, however when querying it via cli, it state 1.2.48. ID in iPhone app is 1.2.48. Oh, doesn’t seem to transmit anymore either. Again, I’m on iphone. Android shortly…

Any reason why with the t-beam disconnected, after system reboot, the python scripts still say I’m running 1.2.48? Heh.

Seems like it didn’t actually update, I just read the firmware version number of the device in the iOS app, the cli does the same.

Seems I needed to update the python stuff to play with the new ver of the device.

I just sent in a TestFlight error report. Same problem here, the iOS app is the current one. The device is a T-Beam (0.7) with latest firmware 1.2.57. Tried FW 1.2.53 (oldest version available in macOS meshtastic-flasher app), then manually (i.e. device-update.sh) flashed FW 1.2.52 which was working with the iPhone a few days ago. Not successful ⇒ seems the current iOS Meshtastic app 1.2.53 (14) does not like the device.

Any ideas?

You can try this Meshtastic Dev Demo - Clear NVS - Trouble pairing bluetooth? - YouTube and forget the devices under settings and try again.

Thank you. I already deleted the app from the iPhone and installed it from scratch because I did not manage to remove any device info. The firmware was flashed with prior erasing memory IIRC except for the last one (1.2.52) which was only updated with the device-update.sh script. I now tried again with erasing, but the problem remains. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I already had the app loaded onto my iPad, so I tried with that. I don’t know which version is currently installed on the iPad – found no info under “App Settings”, neither in TestFlight. Trying to pair the same T-Beam device works better: I am presented the coupling dialog box where I have to enter the 6-digit number that is displayed on the device. Unfortunately the iPad does not show the keyboard so I cannot enter the number. After some timeout the process is canceled (“BLE Authentication is insufficient”, “User Initiated Disconnect”). Will try again with a Bluetooth keyboard at hand.

Ok, success with an external keyboard. The device is now coupled to my iPad, with Firmware 1.2.52.

I have had this many times with Meshtastic. Yup, getting a Bluetooth keyboard is the only way. I have also seen it happen on and off with other apps.

Mark Seamans

mark@seamans.cc

210-317-7891 (C)

-. … -.-- --… …-

I would upgrade your firmware, that bug is really old.

You mean the BT pairing / number entry missing screen keyboard bug in the iOS app depends on the ESP32 device firmware?

Just to be sure, I repeated erasing and installing different FW versions on the T-Beam: 1.2.53, 1.2.57, 1.2.52. Now all versions result in the “timeout after 5 attempts” error.

Yes that was a bug from before I started to work on the iOS app in some early firmware you can update easily with the flasher now Using Meshtastic Flasher | Meshtastic