A big thanks to all the developers

Hello - just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all the developers working on all the various apps and firmware updates. You rock! I got my two LILYGO TTGO T-Beams a few months ago, and have been fiddling with them, but most of the experience was failures and frustration. Lots of quirks, missed messages, and many problems keeping the phone & tablet connected to the T-Beams. But all that changed in the last few weeks with the new updates.

• The new standalone Windows firmware updater was a game changer for me - so simple and reliable, and both T-Beams are now on v1.2.55. (and I don’t have to learn Linux - woot woot!!!)
  • The Android app just keeps getting better and better (currently running 1.2.58)
  • The recent updates to the IOS app have resolved one of my biggest frustrations - reconnecting to the T-Beam when re-opening the app or coming back into bluetooth range. It is rock-solid now and really made the whole system usable for me.

I did a test tonight by setting one T-Beam in a window in my home office. It was connected to the android tablet. Then I took the other T-Beam and put it on the dash of my car and went for a drive. I sent a message from my iPhone at every intersection and was able to get them to send up to 1.75 miles away. That’s better than I expected since the devices are inside the house & car, and not on an elevated antenna mast. Lots of trees and buildings between, and the messages still went through. Awesome!

Thank you very much for all the hours of development you’re putting into this Meshtastic ecosystem. Your work is truly appreciated!

Dave

9 Likes

Awesome, lots of good progress being made. Please let us know if you had any issues with the documentation while you were getting set up, it is hard to be a new user again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Which T-Beam board do you have? What frequency are you on? What antennas are you using?

1 Like

My T-beam is a LILYGO TTGO Meshtastic V1.1 ESP32 915Mhz WiFi. I only have the stock antennas but am looking for some upgraded antennas to improve the range.

1 Like

The two frustrations that I had early on were:

1. keeping the IOS app connected. It seemed that if I closed the app, or went out of bluetooth range, it would not reconnect to the T-Beam. So much so that the only way I could get reconnected to the IOS app was to delete the Meshtastic app, delete TestFlight, and remove the T-Beam from the paired bluetooth devices in the Settings app. Then I’d start the process of re-installing TestFlight, Meshtastic and re-pairing the T-Beam. But thankfully all those issues have gone away in the last two/three weeks with the recent IOS updates.

2. I am an IT consultant with 30+ years of tech experience on Windows systems, but I am a total noob at Linux. I tried and tried to get a VM setup with Ubuntu 20.04 and all the meshtastic required software running but there was always some piece I was missing. Especially getting the drivers within the VM to recognize the T-Beam. I attribute 100% of this to my lack of Linux knowledge. This too became a non-issue with the new Windows updater since now I can update firmware and make some settings changes within the updater app. I’m super thankful for that!!!

1 Like

Did you get 1.75 miles on the stock antenna? That’s really impressive.

1 Like

Yes, they were the stock antennas, and one T-Beam was on a windowsill inside my house, and the other was sitting on the dash on my car. Far from optimal, so I was pleased with the results!

1 Like

I have not messed with mine for a few weeks, but glad to see the headway. We plan to install a unit 125’ up a couple of towers in our area. Should be a great resource.

1 Like