Are filters necessary?

Hi,

I’ve read that using radio devices like SDRs close to a tx radio can damage them (for example a baofeng).
Could a handheld radio damage a meshtastic device (a t beam for example) and if that’s the case, would a filter fix the problem?
For example putting a 433 MHz filter in between the antenna and the device. (And would you need a special filter knowing that the device is also transmitting)?

Thank you.

I’ve used a FT3DE on APRS Tx 144.800 about 3cm from a mestastic device (869MHz) and the MT T-beam still works. Will the 2m Tx desense the meshtastic - sure. But the beauty of low duty cycle digital comms is it doesn’t matter so much. The FT3DE claims 5W, the APRS brrrzt is about 5sec

On reflection I’d probably go for at least 10cm separation, having them in adjacent backpack pockets was probably a bit dumb in retrospect.

For example putting a 433 MHz filter in between the antenna and the device. (And would you need a special filter knowing that the device is also transmitting)?

You’d struggle with filtering because these things are gutless enough as they are, the extra loss will not be your friend.

Manufacturers are coy about max signal levels. But at least you have one anecdotal data point now.

1 Like