About the new variable Position Precision

Historically, I believe Meshtastic would effectively broadcast your nodes position using the encryption key of the first channel. Effectively meaning anyone with the same first channel (including if that LongFast and default key) would see your position.

Now can configure the position resolution per channel (high,med,low, off) - which by changing the default LongFast to say Medium position, means other nodes only see a truncated position. Which is good (can only provide a low resolution to ‘public’)

But wonder if there is a way to share higher accuracy position within a private mesh (ie if the nodes have some other channel in common - with a private encryption key)

i guess would a node would need share its position to each channel seperately - at least if they are set to different position resolutions! And the receiving node would need to only use the highest resolution position updates it could decode (if received a high resolution packet, would ignore the med/low ones)
… but dont know if that implemented or not.

Thanks for any insight.

You can configure the position precision per channel. Periodic broadcasts only go out on your primary channel, but others can request your position from secondary channels if you allow that by setting a certain precision (by default it’s off for secondary channels).

Ok thanks.

I my case (just testing still) - using ‘Request Position’ still just sees the medium precision position - which is what set for LongFast.

I assume because we both have LongFast as ch:0 its still used for direct messages, even though we both have a private channel (with High Precision set)

GUess could swap the channels, make the the ‘private’ channel the primary (ch:0) so that will share high position updates, within the private mesh. But that suggests will mean wont be automatically sharing any position with the ‘public’ LongFast channel, although others could perhaps still explicitly request position (and would get Medium precision as that is what longfast set to?)
… will test that over the weekend.