Update RAK 4631 with position remotely and without bluetooth

Got a RAK 4631 router on the mountain side. Battery packed in (I’m sorting the panel/batt config for this) and brought it down for testing. Whilst down it aquired my home coordinates, which was fine but when I got it on the mountain I could not get the fixed location to update from the phone…so I manually wrote it in and pressed ‘send’. It looke good so I decided to switch off the bluetooth…great…all good, until later and it appears the home location is still in there! No great loss as it’s still acting as a router but it itches my sense of rightness :slight_smile: Can I remotely update this over lora? I don’t mind too much as I can bring it back down and update and set postion over serial once I’ve the new panel and twin 18650 pack. Can I even attach a serial to my Pixel Android?! Is there a RAK app I thought I heard about to help with updating firmware over lora?
Interested to see what I save with bluetooth off (if anything), but every amp counts I suppose

You can turn fixed position on and off remotely, but there is no way to send a new position packet to a device remotely. Fixed position is just a checkbox that indicates the device should just keep using the last stored position.

1 Like

There’s two options but both would require you to be in close proximity/next to the device.You could reenable bluetooth over lora if you have an admin channel setup on both devices. This would allow you to then connect via bluetooth to the device again and update the location without having to take it back down to utilize serial. The android app also supports an OTG connection so you could also connect directly to the device via usb to make the necessary update without having to take down.

1 Like

Thanks, I may give that a shot and if not just swop the whole thing over (I’ll be getting more RAK’s). I definately need to get more aquainted with servicing and be prepared when I’m up and down these hills less (in training at the mo).

1 Like