Server component?

Please blast me if I missed something obvious but I was wondering if there is any kind of “server component” for Meshtastic. Something I ideally could run in a container and which would communicate with a radio, e.g. via USB and would allow sending/receiving of messages through some API.
The reason behind my question is that I’m running an (open source) asterisk PBX and it would be an interesting project to build a bridge between the asterisk messaging core and meshtastic. Through the dialplan one could set up alternative routing alá “when a message cannot be delivered via SIP/SMS/XMPP/… try the mesh”.
Other bridges (Telegram, Matrix, etc.) would be possible too…

1 Like

I think you want to use the python api

Oh, Python… … … But yeah, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

you’re free to use whatever language, there are currently Python, JS and part of a go library, but any language and a decent protobuf library will work fine

1 Like

I tried using the js lib to write a NodeJS api, but it seems it’s meant to only work with browser. If i’m wrong, would be great to have an example repo of how to use it with Node.

Yeah, I was also thinking Node. I tried tinkering with it but I have never done anything with protobufs and I cant really get my radio to talk to me… It talks to the meshtastic python cli though…

An update on this, recent versions of the library will work over HTTP on node, I plan on supporting node serial, maybe as an external dependency as I don’t want to require node-gyp for most installs.

1 Like