Screen brightness constant adjustment

Hello, this is my first post here.
I have purchased 3pcs of LILYGO T-beam boards and managed to get the code working on them except one thing:
The middle button seems to be always pressed, so it’s constantly adjusting the screen brightness.
Having investigated this, it seems that middle button is not pulled high, probably because the pullup resistor is missing.
Have anybody encountered something like this?

2 Likes

Update, I actually measured pullup badly. The pin38 is definately pulled up.
But it’s still continuously doing the screen brightness progress bar thingy.
Video

Hello and welcome!

Could you please tell me the exact firmware file you’ve flashed to the device?

Cheers

It already came with meshtatic 1.0
I did the OTA update from Android phone.

Problem solved, flashed T-beam firmware 433MHz and it’s working now
update: this repaired only 1/3 of the devices. The other two are still doing it.
update2 it seems to be still running 1.1.48 but I flashed 1.1.50!
esptool.py --baud 921600 write_flash 0x10000 firmware-tbeam-EU433-1.1.50.bin

2 Likes

I’ve asked because the brightness bar is tell-tale sign of a wrong firmware loaded (e.g.: a “tlora” firmware on a “tbeam” device.

Since you’re starting from a very old firmware, I suggest you flash all your devices with esptool.py, only then try OTA updates for subsequent firmwares.

1 Like

Now it’s 100% solved.
flashed 1.1.50 to all 3 and they are working. It takes much longer time to achieve GPS fix though.

2 Likes

I found that the brightness bar can also be simply sign of a really low battery (at least for the T-Beam 1.1). Once the battery gets charged to a sufficient level, the brightness bar disappears.

2 Likes

Yep, you’re right, forgot about that!

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem as OP. I can’t seem to fix it by flashing firmware.

I have 2 T-Beam V1.1 boards direct from lilygo. they were originally at v1.0.0 and I updated them via the android app.

I’ve now flashed one of them using esptool with “firmware-tebeam-US-1.1.50.bin” from here, but the problem persists. Is this truly the right version for my board?

I’m charging right now to make sure low battery isn’t the issue, but I measured one 18650 at 3.9v, so not sure that is the issue.

I’ve now flashed the latest alpha release on github (1.2.6) and the stuck button issue has gone away.

Not exactly a solution to use the stable release 1.1.50, but I’ll live with it.

1 Like